Good Memories and Bad Ones

Lil book-exclusive art for you up top ^ by me
______________

    When I woke up, I was warm and comfy and numbly aware of Jay's arms wrapped around me. I blinked my eyes open, taking in the dim sunlight, and sat up, pushing him off me gently before looking around.

    The house was empty, and still. The sunlight was golden, it made everything look warm and inviting. I yawned, and let everything slowly trickle back into my mind. Jay was still sleep, his black head-fur in a mess around his face. I moved it carefully, then untangled myself so I could walk around.

    This was Zach's house. He had lived here for years. I wanted to see what it was like. I wanted to see what he got up to as a kit, because I never got that chance. I eventually discovered that his den used to be what humans called 'upstairs'. The doors were a little tricky to figure out, but I managed.

    I could tell immediately which den had been his. The walls were a soft, pale, turquoise. The bed was made, but obviously it hadn't been touched in years. The floor had some sort of weird fur that I'm pretty sure was called a carpet. It was soft and made my feet feel good.

    I never knew humans could make art. Not like the ones Zach had secured to the wall. Most of them were faded, but I could tell they were pictures of me. In my true form, not this silly illusion I had now. Funny. He wasn't particularly good, but I loved them.

    "He used to have these crazy dreams." A voice said suddenly, making me jump in surprise.

    I turned to see Jack leaning in the doorway. He was dressed in normal human clothes, not the ranger uniform he had on yesterday. He looked causal, but also unkempt. His eyes were glassy me unfocused.

    "Zach?" I asked.

    He nodded. "For a whole year straight, he wouldn't shut up about them. I had to take him to a therapist, but she couldn't explain it either. I think eventually he just started keeping them to himself."

    "He had dreams about me?" I blinked.

    "Is that you?" Jack inquired.

    I nodded, gesturing to the small collection of art. "That's me."

    "I thought so. When I first saw you back at the reserve I could hardly believe it, but I recognized those eyes. Plus you're the spitting image of him." Jack nodded.

    Something got stuck in my throat and I choked up. I blinked away the tears, so I didn't upset him.

    "So...you said Zach had gotten himself in some trouble? What kind?"

    "I told you he got himself stuck in another dimension of sorts." I managed, I wish Zach would speak to me so I would know what to say.

    Jack's eyes widened. "Does this stuff sort of happen to you normally?"

    "Yeah, for us at least."

    "Like what? What's it like on the other side?"

    The other side. What a fun choice of words.

    "We fought the Ghost king, and decipher prophecies, there were four others that were destined to defeat this demon, a tenebris, he's gone now, but we helped them. That's what got Zach stuck in the first place."

    Jack stared off, as if he were trying to imagine all of this. "Dang. Sounds like he's been busy."

    I frowned. "He couldn't have visited you if he waned. He did talk about you a lot."