The Four of the Prophecy

We reached the dead center of Eastern Coniurantum halfway through the third day. By then the sun had really started to take effect and we flew closer to the ground just to take advantage of whatever shade we might come across. We would have flown below the tree tops if I didn't have a 99% crash expectancy. After this, I'm never going to fly two days straight again. My wings felt like slabs of driftwood and my muscles had grown numb five hours ago. Half the time I could barely feel myself flapping.

Then I heard it, the most beautiful sound ever. The soft pounding of many paws on the soil. Heavy enough to be a large animal soft enough to be a predator. Not too soft for me however. It was the loping of wolves.

"Jelu, look below us and please tell me that's what I think it is."

He gasped. "I can see Feurige! Follow me, the trees break up ahead."

I followed his tail closely, not letting his scent become too thin in the air we pushed through. Then he started dropping dramatically and the pounding become louder.

"Feurige!" Jelu shouted. "Look up!"

There was a surprised shout from down below, then Jelu slowed down, dropped even more, and suddenly I was running along some thick grass. We slowed to a stop and I started to pick out the breathing of the individual wolves that had begun to surround us. There were about fifteen, give or take a few, which wasn't too shabby at all. I closed my wings, almost sighing from the relief that brought, and the cramps it soothed out. Sweet, sweet, rest. My brother ruffled his fur out and then began to address our audience.

___________
Jelu
____________

Feurige looked exactly like he used to, except he wasn't scrawny anymore and I spotted two hawk feathers hanging off the side of his thick, rusty, wolf-mane. He blinked happily upon seeing me again.

"Feurige! How are you doing?"

He was happy, but slightly confused. "I'm... I'm doing great. It's great to see you again Jelu... though I know something's wrong and I'm really hoping you can provide some answers."

He lifted up one paw in demonstration and I looked down smelt smoke, and saw the dark patch of burned grass at his feet. 

I gasped. "Oh yeah! That's happening to me too."

"Jelu, as much as I'm loving this prolonged break from out flight, we are on a tight schedule here." Jay pointed out, his ears flicked back.

"Oh right, so as it turns out Tenebris is not dead."

Feurige's ears flicked and and his pack let out a few concerned murmurs. "It's as I suspected. Two days ago we found the carcass of a deer, it had the familiar ick about it. Glamora help us all. Maddy?"

    The pale-brown she-wolf beside him pricked her ears up in attention.

    "I'm putting you in charge while I'm gone, finish the hunt and carry on as normal." He ordered.

    She still look frightened under her stoic facade. "How long do you think you'll be gone?"

    Feurige frowned, then barked a few times, the pack around them stalked off. Giving them some privacy. I sat down a little closer to Jay to add to this in some way.

    "I... I don't know." Feurige admitted. "I don't even know if I'll be coming back. I think the chances are unlikely, but it's a possibility. I want you to be prepared in case that does happen."