Chapter Two

Jack.

Nobody called me Jack except for Baz. Sometimes, he'd say it in a caring and affectionate way. Other times, I knew I was in deep shit.

Instead of going to the kitchen, I went to the garage and waited for him. I started biting my thumb nail, which I hated. It was a nasty habit that I've had since I was little that showed its ugly face every now and then. The others finally joined us. I didn't know they were going to be at this little meeting. Maybe I'm not in trouble after all. Standing, I crossed my arms and cocked a hip to the side. Ma and Baz leaned on the car, while Craig played with his dogs Bruno and Pup-Pup. Deran, however, was pacing.

"Have you lost your mind?!" Deran yelled.

Smurf ignored him. "Don't bring your dogs here if you can't clean up after them. Almost stepped in a pile a shit by the pool." Her attention was back on her youngest boy.

"I mean," Deran continued. "it's insane. What makes you think we can trust this kid? Family is based on trust! We can't trust him!"

I furrowed my eyes. "What makes you think we can't? I'd trust him over you any day." I ruffed at his hair. He slapped my hand away. "Geez, I was fucking joking."

"No joking, Jack." Baz said, leaning against the car with his arms folded over his chest. Clearly, he was not for the conversation. "This is a serious situation and if you can't be serious then you can take your pretty little ass back inside and bake cupcakes."

I gritted my teeth. My eyes shooting to him. I wanted to fucking slap him.

I got ya' pretty little ass, mutha' fucka'.

There he goes again treating me like a child when Craig and Deran were the biggest, immature fucks out of us all. I almost said something, but Deran interrupted, still on his rant.

"I mean, who knows what Julia put into his head?!"

"She was too high to put anything into his head!" Smurf leaned in and said. "Geez, I'd be surprised if she knew her own name towards the end or that Josh was her son."

"A-And if you are wrong? Then what? Huh? WHAT?!" He held out his arms. "I guess a decade or two in Folsom ain't a bad thing, huh?"

"Stop being so over-fucking-dramatic!" I rolled my eyes and plopped down on one of the work benches.

"Shit!" Craig pulled his hand back. One of the dogs bit his fingers. Playing of course, but I'm sure it hurt. "Rabbit's right, we are being overdramatic, but at the same time, we shouldn't take any big risks. We need to at least test him out. See where his loyalties lay."

I sighed. Baz did the same thing, lowering his head and resting it in his hand, before looking back up. Clearly, clearly, he was tired of them talking.

Craig wasn't taking that shit. "You're just gonna stand there? Huh?!"

"C'mon guys. Calm down." I said, taking my braids out of my high bun and let the flourish down and around my back.

Deran looked at me. "Bonnie! If something happens and that kid rats on us, we're all going out! You might come away clean, but then you'll be out here alone! Without us! I don't know about you, but I don't fucking want my little sister having to fend for herself!"

I made a face of annoyance. I could get caught just as much as them. I wasn't squeaky clean. Besides, I've been on runs with them so how would I get away with anything?. "I can take care of myself, asshole! Remember, I did just fine eighteen years before you!"