Chapter Three

"J? Rabbit? Are you two coming for—" Smurf stopped in her tracks and looked at Pope with wide eyes.

Pope turned around and gave a timid smile to his mother. "These two, uh, ruined my surprise for you."

She immediately held her arms out for him because if she hadn't, there would have been shit. I watched her carefully. She grinned at him, but when he hugged her, her smile dropped and she looked at me. I shook my head quickly and shrugged, letting her know that I did not know he was getting out. Judging by her face, she didn't know, either.

Pope.

I missed him, sure. He had a few screws missing, yet he was probably the most capable of the family. He knew this and knew we all thought he was crazy, which was why he was angry all the time.

I can't not love him. He was the most loyal and it showed in his prison sentence. It was Baz who was supposed to have been in prison. Not Pope. No one really talks about that because it was a fuck up on Baz's part and for that, Pope will always resent him.

If one asked me who I would have missed more between the two, I wouldn't be able to answer the question. I have a special bond with both of them. After he hugged Mom, he pulled me into the warmest hug I've had in a while. I rested my head on his shoulder and stood there in his arms. Taking in his strength, his scent, Pope himself in my presence after so long. "I've missed you, Andy." I said softly.

"You have no idea how much I've missed you." He pulled back and looked at me. "Three years and you're a woman now. You look different."

I shrugged a shoulder and bit down on my lip. "Different, how? I mean, that's a good different right? It's not like you haven't seen me."

He just stared and didn't say anything. Didn't do anything but shake his head. His eyes raised to mine and then I saw that smile. The one he had only for me. One filled with a warmth that he didn't let the others know he had that side of him. "You look gorgeous."

Squealing, I jumped in his arms and laughed. "You ass! I thought you were going to say I looked like a cow or something!" I turned around for him. "Like my braids?" I did a little model pose. Then licked my finger and touched my ass with a hissing sound effect. Smurf laughed and J just kind of stood there, watching the dynamic between us for sure and not knowing what the hell to think.

"Love 'em....Medusa." He blocked my slap and smiled again, but when he looked at J, that smile faded quickly. "Again. Who the fuck are you?"

AK AK AK AK AK

We all sat in the living room, surrounding Pope, who was in the arms of Smurf. Craig was on the floor, doing blow of course. I understood his reasons, but lately, it was as if he became reliant on the shit. He assured me countless times that he wasn't hooked, but Stevie fucking Wonder could see pass his bullshit.

"So, you're Julia's kid. Josh." Pope said, staring at J.

I had him in my arms. I wanted to make him as comfortable as possible. After all, he was family. He was more of a family to them than Baz and me.

"Yeah," J said softly.

Silence.

"You look like her." Pope muttered.

He was the last to know about Julia. I know her death hit him hard, but he would never let us see him cry, nor break. With this family, death came all the time. Quickly and relentlessly. We were used to losing those we loved so when it happened, we had a tendency to close up. Shut down. Pretend like the shit doesn't hurt us. Unfortunately for me, I will never know Julia. That was fucked up for me because she would always be the sister I always wanted to know, but never got the chance to.