Chapter Six

Rabbit

A day passed and everything seemed to have been normal. We did a job and to celebrate, we had a pool party. The boys were in the pool playing basketball.I could never join because they were too rough. They played hard. Partied hard and drank hard. Poor J was right in the middle of it.

Craig couldn't play, of course, so he sat on the edge with me and Nicky. Deran joined us a little while later. It was one against one: Baz against Pope. Always trying to measure their dicks. There's no privacy in this family, so it's safe to say I've seen all of my brothers' pricks.

Baz won. Hands down. All T, no Shade.

"Aw, here we go with this shit again." Craig muttered, taking a swig of his beer.

I looked over at J, who was watching on, probably wondering what that statement meant. "They go at it like cats and dogs. Always trying to one up each other. Never get in a cock fight with these two because even if you win, ya' lose...no whatta' mean?" He nodded his head before I took another shot of Jack and coke.

Smurf walked out with a plate of nachos. Deran looked back at her. "Who're ya' rooting for, Ma?"

"Both of them, baby." she said in that motherly fashion. It was true though. She never picked one kid over the other, though we all knew she trusted Baz more than any of us. "That's the beauty of being a mother. You never have to pick sides." She watched closely, as she set the nachos down. "Nicky? Why don't you help me with the food trays?"

She smiled. "Sure," she said before leaning over, kissing J, and then giving me a look. 'Did I just...? Did she just...? Uh....the fuck was that?' Yes, I was jealous because the one I loved was a few feet away, who apparently didn't want inexperienced pussy...or whatever bullshit he spewed off at the mouth that day.

Nicky left, leaving us siblings and J alone. Pope and Baz got outta the pool. "Awww, ya' gotta bloody nose, Popey." I threw a towel at him.

"It ain't the first time. Remember that one time you got so pissed at me, you kicked me in the mouth and chipped my tooth?" He laughed and hugged it out with Baz.

"Hey, I told you I was ticklish!"

He wiped at his face, staring at J. Sizing him up. Everyone—even those who were blind—could tell he didn't trust the kid. Craig fixed us all shots and handed Baz one. Craig took one and so did me and Deran. J denied one. Pope didn't like that. "Hey. I scored. You gotta take a drink."

Baz chuckled. "Give the kid a break, man. It's barely noon and he's already had six."

Still, Pope didn't like that. "Drink. It's the rules."

J looked at me, while Craig held the glass out to him. I wanted to tell him no, but I knew this was a test. They needed to know he would do anything they say. To prove he was on their side. Then, later on, they were going to teach him to stand up to them and grow balls. It was how loyalty was made in this family. I nodded to him. "Go 'head, baby. It's okay. I wouldn't tell ya' that if I knew somethin' was gonna happen to ya'." Leaning over, I kissed his lips. "It's all in good fun."

"Yeah. All in good fun." Baz repeated, giving me a look. I knew what it was for and frankly, I didn't care. Sure, we made up, but the fact of the matter was he would still choose Catherine over me. Always. He had my forgiveness this time, but with that he didn't know it came with a price. I was going to make him sorry for not taking me.