Chapter 20 - Meeting Griffin Chase

Chapter 20; Meeting Griffin Chase
Zayn Malik's P.O.V. :

Part Two

What a surprise to find

You could shift the contents of your head

Like rearranging furniture in a room.

-Lisa Alther

"You what?" Max whispered, blinking once. There's a best of stunned silence. Max stares at me through the screen, her eyes furrowing before she smiles. "Ha ha, Zayn. Not funny," she chuckles, shaking her head at me. "You suck at jokes, really."

"Max, I mumble, fiddling with by blazer. "I'm not joking."

"Zayn Malik if this is some sick joke, I will murder you."

"Max, I swear I'm not joking. I was doing a lot of. . . " I pause, trying top find a way to say this in the least possible way. "Research." I risk a glance at the teenage boy sitting on one of the leather sofas. 

"Zayn, that's such a silly joke. My dad's in jail and my mum is dead."

"Zayn, are you talkin' to me mum?" Griffin asks from the sofa. He's positioned so his feet are propped against the wall and his head is hanging off the end. "Sure sounds like it."

"No, I'm not --"

"Zayn, the only possible way I could even have a brother is if my dad fucked a woman at jail and now I'm the guardian of an infant."

"Max, I swear --"

"Mate, you sure you're not talin' to me mum? If you're tryin' to hit 'er up or somethin' that ain't cool, mate." Griffin says, sitting like a normal person again.

"Griffin, I'm not talkin --"

"Zayn, this is the silliest thing you've ever said! It's crazy that you actually think I have a brother. My dad is in jail and my mum's dead. I'm an only child. Who's putting these ideas in your head anyway?"

"Max, this is serious --"

"Zayn, sounds awfully a lot like me mum. Just tell me you're not hittin' up me mum?"

"I'm not interested in --"

"Zayn, you've gone loony."

"Zayn, just be honest?"

"Zayn!"

"Zayn!"

I grip the ends of my desk, before raising them to my head. I pull at my hair, trying to ease the forming headache I've gotten. Meanwhile, Griffin storms over to me. While I'm experiencing the worst headache known to man, he grips my laptop and spins it around.

There's a gasp from Griffin. And there's a gasp from the computer. Griffin's eyes pop and I hear Max shriek.

"You look just like me!" Griffin exclaims, mouth open enough for me to dive in and just cry myself to sleep.