Chapter 33 - Chase, Maxxon Chase

Maxxon Chase's P.O.V. :

I run down the alleyway, my hair whipping across my cheeks. I pant, turning the corner into another alley. I ignore the lump forming in my throat, skidding to a halt at the dead end. No. No. No. This can't be happening right now. 

I hear the muffled shouts behind me, the heavy footsteps followed by the harsh breathing. 

I see the rusty ladder in the corner. It leads up onto the fire escapes of the building. It's only a foot or two higher than me. I rush over. I jump up, over and over again until finally, I feel the metal between my fingers. Mentally congratulating myself, I pull down, feeling my feet touch the floor. 

Taking a glimpse behind me, I see them begin to turn into the alleyway, eyes narrowed and angry as they spot me. Ignoring the panicky feeling rising in my chest, I begin to climb up the rungs of the ladder. 

I'm barely reaching the first fire escape platform when I feel the ladder shake. I look back, seeing one of them at the bottom of the ladder. Rushing down the fire escape, I grab the metal poles holding it up and swing myself onto the next ladder

I rush up the stairs, seeing the first of the men run down the isle after me. Panting for breath, I make my way up four more fire escapes before reaching the roof of the building. I swing myself over the edge of the building, feeling my feet touch the floor of the roof. 

Pushing my brown hair out of my face, I see the last of the sun setting and the moon rising. I don't waste anymore time. I run across the rooftop, eyes focused only on the next rooftop building. I hear the shouts of the men as they reach the rooftop. 

My breath catches in my throat as I see how far the next rooftop is. I glance over the ledge and see the busy street below. Whipping my head back, I see the men run across the rooftop. I squeeze my eyes shut, only opening them as I get on the ledge of the roof. 

I have one leg on each side of the ledge, my hands tightly gripping the ledge. Glancing down once, I see the top of a delivery truck. With one last peek at my chasers, I let go of the ledge, feeling myself fall down the side of the roof. 

My side hits the top of the truck first, shooting pain up my shoulder. I curse, coming to a kneel on the top of the truck. Glancing back, I see a black van following close behind. By the logo on the side of the truck I'd seen earlier, I can tell this truck is going to the nearest grocery store. Which, if I remember correctly, is only a few blocks down. 

"Chase the Chase," I murmur to myself, gripping tightly at the top of the truck. "Send someone to chase Chase. So ironic," I sarcastically add, glancing down at my watch. Toying with the receiver, I click the communicating device on the watch. 

"Riley, Chase checking in. They're right behind me," I say into the watch, glancing at the streets below me. "Need you to find the nearest subway station," I add. "And maybe a McDonald's."

"Max, being in international spy doesn't mean you can just pop into any McDonald's you want," Riley says. I can hear the clicking of his computer and the chatter of the headquarters through the earpiece I'm sporting. "But," He sighs. "There's a McDonald's at Subway Station 54."