Chapter Six - Tainted Records

As the Trans-Atlantic cruise ship approached the coast of Le Havre, I wondered how we'd get to Moscow. I remembered Nicolae muttering something to Lorenzo about going there, but with the cruise line's tight schedule, it seemed unlikely. At least, until I exited the ship and saw the double-decker buses waiting for us. Fortunately, the ship arrived at Le Havre in the middle of the night, which no doubt annoyed the humans as many of them complained about the darkness.

Salty air greeted my nostrils when I breathed in deeply. Alexander stood next to me with Grace to his right. The tension of Celeste and Chase's appearance had been eased for the most part. I still felt sore over the whole thing, but my sentiments wouldn't distract me from the end goal of reaching Saint Petersburg. Lorenzo ran to us as we walked to the bus.

"Don't go into the bus," he panted. I raised a quizzical eyebrow, less amused about his message and more on how he seemed so tired after such a short jog. "Mr. Nadzhed said you guys have photophobia, so I'm taking you to a special vehicle." I traded glances with Alexander and Grace, the latter shrugging.

"So be it," I said.

Lorenzo led us to a black Nissan Altima. The trunk popped open as we neared the vehicle and we put our things inside. The darkness of the windows stood out to me. It was almost as if we were in a cave.

"This can't be a legal tint," I pointed out to Grace and Alexander as Lorenzo closed the door behind us.

The driver laughed, his thick, French accent pleasing to the ear. "Do you vampires wish to burn when the Sun rises? Of course the windows have to be this thick." he retorted.

"You know we're vampires?" I asked. His knowledge and relaxed nature surprised me. Despite vampires being humanity's natural predator, we have mostly become creatures of legend as skepticism became the norm.

"How can an observant person not?" he cackled. "Your kind possesses a consistently dark aura. It's not clear to the human eye, but its presence can't be ignored. The boy's aura is quite dark indeed, and you both have active subconscious."

Oh, this one is intelligent! Let me out! I want to talk to him! Celeste suddenly cried in an attempt to break the bonds. I grinded my teeth while silently scolding her.

"You excite her," I informed him, not hiding my irritation.

"What are you? Are you entirely human?" Alex asked curiously.

"My name is Jacques Francis Louise du Lys d'Arc. An old man, I am."

He paused for a moment, eyes twinkling in anticipation. As we stared at him blankly, he sighed. "D'Arc, immortal ones, D'Arc. Joan was one of my ancestors and her ability of seeing spirits is mine as well. Of the ones you two carry, one appears entirely identical and the other has black eyes."

"Perceptive," Grace noted.

Jacques turned at the sound of her voice, eyed her for a bit, and turned back around, nodding to himself. I used that time to take in his features. A gray cap secured his dark brown hair, allowing his bushy brows and prominent nose free reign over his features. Old? Eh, he appeared in his mid thirties, perhaps forty at the most. Under most circumstances, the humans didn't consider thirty to be too old at all. However, some did suffer from those midlife crises...

"Younglings," he said, cutting off my thoughts. "I will be your chauffeur to Russia. You will have no need to worry; I can go a long while without sleep so as long as I have my coffee. You will thirst, but I know your kind can survive for long periods without blood."

"And if I decide I'd like to feed on you?" Alexander asked nonchalantly while I gaped at him. Yes, because threatening our driver is such a great idea, Alex. He caught my stare and grinned.