Chapter Four - Memories

Chapter Four - Memories

As expected with anything of Nicolae's, his living arrangements were far above adequate. Upon my arrival, a gust of warm air and a fine tan carpet greeted me. The living room held a beautiful chaise, loveseat, and swivel chair, and I let out a contented sigh as my toes sank into the fluffy carpet. The kitchen was visible from the doorway, allowing a view of its glimmering appliances; the desire to cook enticed me.

          "Nicolae, do you have the things needed to make borscht?" I asked.

          "Later, Zune. Lemme finish the tour, Miss Eager." He smiled while a blush graced my cheeks.

          I followed him, eyes awash in wonder as we surveyed the other rooms. The bathroom's tiles almost glittered and the dining room had a table for four with a sturdy quartz countertop. Two guest bedrooms and a surprisingly simple attic made up the rest of his home. This neatness surprised me, to say the least.

          "Nicolae, you've always been a slob. Have you finally seen the light towards cleaning?" I joked.

          "I hired a housekeeper, of course. Did you honestly expect me to do all this work?" He laughed, the prospect of picking up after himself that humorous.

          I snorted. "Sure, when pigs fly."

          "They can in my world." He pointed to Grace and Alexander, who were interestingly quiet the whole time. "Come on, you two. I want to show you a few things in your rooms." They followed him, and I made myself comfortable, flopping onto a couch and treating myself to a cookie from the snack jar.

          "Ooh, the walls are such nice colors!" Grace gushed. "Alexander's looks nice, too."         

          Alex's voice traveled from his room.

          "Were you expecting us?"

          Nicolae's laugh floated from the room.

          "Honestly, I was. My gift is foresight."

          "I see."                      

          Nicolae and the others returned to the living room, and Grace twitched slightly. A moment later, the hairs on my neck stood on end.

          "Nicolae, the Sun will rise in fifteen minutes. Do you need me to prepare the protection?" she asked.

          "Nope. I've got it," he said while pressing a button on his remote. To my surprise, the blinds closed simultaneously.

           "Be right back," he called over his shoulder as he went to his room. In the momentary break, Alexander and Grace shared a knowing glance before staring at me. The inexplicable urge to inspect myself proved difficult to suppress.

          "What's up with you two?" I finally asked.

          "Isn't it kind of odd how your cousin came at such a convenient time?" Alexander asked innocently, tilting his head slightly. "Alexander" and "innocent" didn't fit well in my thought process, and I found myself staring at him pointedly.

          "His gift is foresight. You know that," I responded carefully.

          "Yes, yes, and that's fine and wonderful. It must also be nice how you two connected thoughts for so long, too."

          "What are you talking about?" I replied tersely, not appreciating the lack of defense from Grace.

          "We left the asylum, and it's interesting how you asked if we had family members around, yet never specifically revealed that you certainly have living relatives within the vicinity," he accused smoothly.