Chapter Five - Resonances

Chapter Five - Resonances

Traveling on a cruise should be the equivalent of leisure time, yes? In theory, relaxation would come as naturally as breathing while on a luxury liner. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case for me. Stars twinkled above in tandem with the sparkling sea. Alexander, Grace and I stood on the open deck, and I teetered for the fourth time in an hour.

          "Damn it, Zune. Why are you so seasick?" Alexander grunted as he held my body up. The urge to vomit proved difficult to ignore.

          "Lay down," Grace instructed. "No need to make a scene."

          I did as told, relieved in how my nausea dissipated. I typically had no issues being on the sea, but I hadn't been taking care of myself as of late. I'd yet to ingest blood since saving Alexander, the remnants of depression making the substance unappealing. For reasons unknown, he also abstained from eating. I turned my eyes skyward, observing the stars as they partook in their celestial dance.

          "The stars sure are beautiful tonight," I remarked.

          Alex snorted. "You hardly have the right to attest to their beauty. They look like tiny spots to you. From my eyes, they're far more astounding."

          "Thanks. You're too kind. I'm quite satisfied with my gift, Alexander."

          "Your sight barely surpasses a human's."

          "The same can be said for your hearing, my friend."

          "You children," Grace muttered while rising from the deck and then proceeding to stalk the length of the ship. I watched as her slender form grew smaller, content with laying on the wood. I suppose he and I were a bit childish, especially if a nine year old has to point it out. When she returned, her scowl deepened. She pointed at me and Alexander.

          "How long do you two plan to lay down there? We need to eat."

          "Why do you always feel the need to whine? Go grab some biscuits from the buffet table." Alexander waved her off.

          "No," she snapped. "We've been on this ship for two days and we didn't eat as often as we should've while in New York. Especially you, Zune! How can you guys not be hungry?"

          "I'm too tired to eat," he told her.

          I forced a chuckle. "I'm just not in the mood."

          Grace glared at me. "You're joking, right? Alexander, you're tired because you're hungry from joining Zune's pity parade! Quench the thirst already! And Zune, just because you're feeling upset about the past, doesn't mean you should starve yourself! Come hunting with me already."

          I met her glare with one of my own. I didn't need to be reminded of my issues. "I really don't see why this is your problem. Wouldn't you rather have entire bodies to yourself instead of sharing?" I pointed out.

          Grace sighed in the way all kids do when things don't go their way."Zune, can you stop being so difficult? Wasn't it you who said we're to stick together?" she pleaded.

          "If you don't mind, I'd rather listen to my oceanic friends." I behaved immaturely, that I knew. But Grace was right and I wasn't ready to admit it.

          "Why not listen to what I have to say instead? Both of you, if you'd please," she requested, picking up a deceptively sweet tone.

          "I know you two are starving, Zune, Alexander. The ravenous feeling will settle in soon enough. And what will you crave? Blood. Sweet, delectable, crimson, and wonderful. Can you envision flowing rivers of that life-bearing liquid? What is it like to have a hunger that screams for satisfaction?