Chapter Three - Disputes

For the past five minutes, I sat cross-legged on one of the couches, glaring down at Alexander. He met my stare with glazed indifference while Grace shifted in her seat, face in a pout. The silence was almost comical, but not warranted with our current situation. I threw up my hands in frustration.

          "Do either of you have an idea that won't get us disintegrated?" I snapped. "Alexander, could you contribute instead of being so silent?"

          "Why should I? It's not like I'll even get to Saint Peters—"

          "We'll get you in, Alex! Not all of your family should be blamed for what a few people did."

          "There's no reason to get so worked up."

          "I wouldn't be this high strung if you could just think! Any half-decent idea would suffice."

          "I don't understand," Grace piped. "Why can we not use the airplanes?"

          "Moscow is over ten hours from America by plane, and we do not know who'd fly us over. Saint Catherine's likely has many connections," I said curtly.

          "And even if we did know someone, a human would likely open blinds during the day, searing our skin and revealing our identities," Alexander added sleepily.

          "Exactly. Also, we don't have identification, so I do not think three minors could get through security. Killing that many humans would be troublesome."

          "I see. So that's why," Grace said quietly.

          "If only we could cross continents in consistent darkness," I muttered.

          Alexander's eyes widened slightly. "A boat," he blurted.

          "What?" I asked, caught off guard.

          "You asked for input. I said a boat. We could sleep below deck so there would be no worry about the Sun. We'd go on a cruise. The only issues would be ID and affording the fares."

          "What about food?" Grace asked.

          "Lure a few people in, though we'd have to share again and be stealthy. There'd be panic if a noticeable amount of people went 'missing'."

          "This sounds great and all, but where are we supposed to find these cruises in the first place?" I inquired.

          "No clue. I just wanted you to quit freaking out."

          "Well it's the best idea so far, and we don't have any other options. I know this is a pointless question, but do any of you have relatives from these parts?"

          They shook their heads.

          "OK. So we have no transportation to said docking area and no one to fund our voyage. You know," I prompted, "I say we go to our friend at the clothing store."

          "What can I do for you three again?" the employee asked from behind the counter.

          "We want to go on a cruise from New York to Europe—preferably close to Moscow, Russia," I replied.

          His eyes narrowed as he sighed and crossed his arms. "I have nothing against helping customers, but haven't you kids ever heard of a tourist organization?"

          "Care to explain?"

          "Tourist organization. They provide maps, places where you can eat, sleep, travel, et cetera. Where are your parents?"