Chapter Two - Greetings and Feedings

We were famished.

          For the past hour, myself, the boy, and the girl roamed the busy streets of this ever active city. There were humans. . .so many of them that I wanted to sample them all, the ultimate smorgasbord. But they were covered in despicable streetlights. The glare of neon signs reflecting off of office buildings and high-rises created so much light that I was partially blinded. The girl shied her eyes and the boy growled with increasing frustration.

          "This pollution's outrageous. I can't see the stars," the boy seethed, his glower piercing the heavens. "With all this brightness, we'd do better in the shadows."

          Instant relief flooded my senses as the alleyway's lack of brilliance relieved my contracted pupils. As my vision was restored, critical eyes noted the disheveled boy and girl. He wore baggy and torn sweatpants with a grimy top. The child donned a thin nightshirt with questionable stains.

          "You two look awful," I blurted, then quickly covered my mouth. While escaping the asylum, their clothes were the last thing on my mind. But once I took notice, it was hard to ignore. My laughter was an awkward verse, as it had not sounded in many years.

          In hindsight, it wasn't particularly nice to tease tired, cranky, and starving vampires. The girl gazed at me with thinly veiled irritation. The boy's glare was stonier, animosity ebbing from his very being. Their inability to take light teasing annoyed me. I couldn't help but stare into his crimson eyes passively, part of me just wanting to agitate him further.

          "Before you laugh at us, you should first take a look at yourself." The redhead giggled, her mirth stripping the tension.

          My cheeks flushed in mortification. When at Catherine's, I didn't have the time to bother about my appearance, too caught up in my daily struggle. With my short bottom and shirt that exposed my navel, I could easily be mistaken for—

          "You look like a prostitute," the boy smirked, severing my train of thought. "I'd rather appear impoverished than that."

          "Why you—"

          "Hey there, good looking!" a male called obnoxiously. Too into my banter with the two, I cursed my failing to notice the stumbling human's approach.

          Turning, I watched the man's clumsy swagger. My repressed hunger made itself known once more while I assessed my prey. The two were deathly still, and I felt their expectant gaze on the walking blood sac.

          "What do you want?" I called back, not moving from my place. Whether or not he came to me, he was not going to survive this night. "Cooperate and we'll all gain strength," I whispered to the two, growls in the undertone. Their silence spoke confirmation.

          "I wanna," the man paused to hiccup, eyes roving over my body. "have some fun, if that's your thing. How much do you charge?"

          "Not much." Just your life.

          "That's nice," the man drawled. Some substance was on him. My mind recognized it as alcohol, but it wasn't nearly as strong as the vodka from back home.

          "Wait. . .Who're these peoples?" the man questioned, his eyes slowly moving from the girl to the boy. He squinted, as if doing so would give him an amazing revelation, like how the girl and boy's eyes glowed faintly in crimson.

          I paused, not having fully exchanged such pleasantries with those two. I prepared to fib when the boy parted his lips, saying:

          "The name's Alexander."