The Auction

My hands burned from the ropes being tied too tight around my wrists. I stared at the crowd expressionless, my legs getting limp from standing for so long. I was being auctioned off at a slave trade. Yes, a slave trade. I wore a beaten-down shirt and shorts that were too tight on me. My ratted hair covered my face, preventing me to see out of my left eye. Slave auctions were common around here, and this wasn't my first one. I know what you're thinking, slavery should be illegal by now. It is illegal; it's illegal for a human to own another human. But I wasn't human; at least in the government's eyes I'm not. They called our kind Links. What was a Link? Scientists claim our genetic coding is slightly different. While humans were more evolved and focused more on their mind and logical thoughts, we focused more on our primal instincts. We physically are the same, and mentally for the most part too. Our instincts and genes were just slightly different. Of course in a normal society that wouldn't affect anything, but people make any excuse they can to find free labor.

"How much is this one?" And older man grumbles, laying a hand on my shoulder. A shiver was sent down through my spine but I stay still.

"Well Sir, this one isn't going to be apart of an auction. Just make an offer and we'll discuss from there," my manager said. When I say I have a manager, I just mean someone who is attempting to sell me. The old man nodded and walked in front of me. He crouched down and stared directly at me. Rule number one. Do not make eye contact with any humans unless specified. I immediately look towards the ground and stay as still as I can. I glance up slightly when he wasn't looking to see if I could notice any distinct facial features. He was an older man with a long, scruffy beard. He wore a truck driver's hat and had a toothpick hanging halfway out of his mouth. The human male's eyes squint slightly as he looks at me, the wrinkles on his faces deepening as he does so. The man begins to circle around me, then lifts up the back of my shirt. Rule Number two: A human may touch you however they want and you may not resist. I wince slightly as he places a hand on my bare back.

"She's got a lot of whip marks eh?" The Redneck exclaims.

"Yes, she was a feisty one at first. But we've shaped her right up," my manager explains quickly, hoping he could get rid of me. Rule Number three. If you disobey you will be punished. I roll my eyes slightly and shuffle forwards a little, getting uncomfortable with a 50 year old man touching me. The truck driver nods his head.

"Eh, I'm looking for someone a little older. Someone who really knows how to please a man," The guy chuckles. The manager laughs as well but I just scowl in disgust.

"We have some older Links over there, maybe you'll find one that will suite you," the manager calls out, pointing in a direction a little ways away. The Hill-billy nods his head eagerly and left without another word. My manager, Ralph is his name, sighs and crouches down in front of me.

"I want to go home," I say with tears in my eyes, "I can't be a slave for someone like that."

Ralph nods his head. "Don't worry Kat. I'm going to put you in a good home. You can't go to your home, and you know that. If you don't get sold tonight you'll have to go back into camp," he mumbles. I gulp and nod my head. Camp was like the training center for slaves, where they train you and punish you until you listen. I've had to go to them ever since I was ten. I wasn't very docile and I'm still not today. This is why I could never find a family.

"Just stick it out okay? Be on your best behavior, follow all the rules. I know you'll find a place this time," Ralph says enthusiastically. While Ralph was part of the slave trade business, he was genuinely a nice guy. It seemed like he really did care about us Links.

****

Hours past, one person after another examined me. But no one offered money to Ralph. No one even seemed interested to buy me. I was like that sad little puppy that only had one eye in the pet shop. Everyone pitied me, but no one actually wanted me. I sighed and shake my head. I knew it was time for me to start getting mentally prepared to go back to camp.

The Auction was beginning to close down. The signs were being taken down, and all the left over slaves were being carted away. ((Hamilton reference anyone?))

"WAIT!" I hear a voice cry out. I was about to step into one of the carts myself, but I look over to see a man running towards me.

"Well today may be your lucky day Kat," Ralph chuckled, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"Lucky...?" I mumble under my breath, not sure how I felt about it. The man came running over, stopping right in front of us. He was so close I could see the beads of sweat running down his face. His hair was combed back neatly and he was wearing what seemed to be nice clothes.

"How can I help you Sir?" Ralph the manager asks, smiling kindly like he always does.

"I'd like to buy one of your slaves please. I know I'm late, but it's for my daughter's birthday. I don't care about the price, I just need a female Link who's about 16 years old," the man gasped, placing his hands on his knees. My heart jolts inside my chest. I was 16 years old. Ralph nods and pats my shoulders.

"Well Kat here is 16, and she's female. How about it? Only 150," Ralph says. "

150?!" I whisper. I had to be worth more than THAT. Ralph nudges me to tell me to shut up.

"I'll take her, thank you very much," the man says happily. Handing Ralph the money eagerly. I look at Ralph, knowing I would probably never meet someone as nice again.

"Don't worry Kat, just follow your rules and you'll be fine. I'll check up on how you're doing in a week. Bye now!" He says, waving his hand at me. I look between Ralph and my new owner, tears in my eyes. I quickly run up to Ralph and give him an awkward, handless hug.

"I'll miss you Ralphy," I say quietly.

He chuckles "I'll miss you too Kit-Kat."