Going Primal

(Thank you so much for all of your views and votes. I never thought this story would get so much attention!)

(TRIGGER WARNING- slight gore, guns)

"FUUCCK!" Avery yelped, immediately pushing his hands on my face. I tumble to the side and watch as he falls to his knees, grabbing his crotch in pain.

"You bitch!" He cries, tears dripping down his face. I crawl on my hands and knees over to him, not able to walk anymore with my leg.

"How do I get out of here?" I spat, slapping him across the face. He cries and pain and rolls over into a ball.

"Fastest way is the through the back closet on the left! There's a ladder in there that leads right to a back alley!" Avery sputters, rolling back and forth in pain. I give him a dirty look one last time. In the process, I notice he had a holster on his belt. A gun.

I've never used a gun before, but the security at training camp always had them. They would shoot any Link that would try to escape. Thankfully, of all my years there, there was only one Link that tried to escape. Sadly, it did not go well for him.

I push him over and unlatch the holster, revealing some sort of gun. I grab it shaking, gripping it tightly until my knuckles turned white. I had no idea how to shoot this thing; as long as it looked like I knew what I was doing. Now how was I going to get up?

I crawl over towards the bed, wrapping my arms around the bed frame. I yank myself up and put all my weight on the side of the bed. I was terrified, I wanted to cry, scream, yell for help. Right now the safety of Cassie's bed seemed so welcoming.

That's when my vision started to blur. No.... I could hear ringing in my ears, the sensation of my heart pounding against my chest. My left leg went numb, no longer feeling the excruciating pain I felt earlier.

I was going primal.

This is what mainly separated humans and Links. Going primal. When a human is in distress, they may freak out. Cry, scream, and at worse, have a panic attack. But Links were the opposite. We would begin to act more animalistic, focusing more on survival than what is right or wrong. This, is when a Link is most dangerous.

This is when we lose control.

While humans have a fight of flight mode when in an unsafe situation, Links have the same. Except more powerful, more uncontrollable.

More lethal.

My vision cleared and my thoughts shifted. I was no longer scared. Instead, I growled. A deep, animalistic growl that I could feel erupting from my throat. I bare my teeth instinctively, looking towards the human laying on the floor. He was still hunched over in pain.

Weakling.

I walk up to him, my back arched as I investigate. I sniff the air, smelling blood on him. He was no longer a predator.

He was the prey.

I lift him up easily, wrapping my arm around his neck. He was much taller than me, so as I began to walk toward the door he had to crouch in order to be pushed forward. He was in too much pain to resist. He complied, even opening the door so we could reach the main part of the bar.

No one seemed to notice at first, a Link carrying around an injured human with a gun to his dead. Through the ringing in my ears I could even hear someone shout:

"Wow. Now that's some kinky shit right there."

I growl again, not being able to speak anymore. The only language I could use were grunts and growls. Complete animal. He shifts his weight to where I want to go, the closet. Even without words, he knew what I wanted from him. I continue to move closer to the closet, holding the human as my captive in case anyone tries to pull a fast one.

"Stop."

I turn around with a swift motion, still pointing the gun to Avery's head. There, in front of me, was Miss El, pointing a gun at me.

"You will drop him now or I will kill you. Understood?" She commands, aiming the gun directly at my head. Peering from behind her is a Puppet a mixture of curiosity and fear written across his face.

I growl in response, baring my teeth and sinking my nails deeper into Avery's skin. He shrieks in pain, but his struggles were no match for my primal mode.

"Miss El, she's gone primal," Puppet warns, tugging again her sleeve, "she's not worth it. Let the girl go and save Avery!"

Miss El ignores puppet, nudging him off of her. He stumbles back a bit but stays on his feet. He then begins to bite his nails, cowering was all he could do.

I scan the area quickly. A few people were watching, but the bar was mainly empty. In my head I could track the severity of danger with each human and Link in the bar.

Prey
Prey
Neutral
Prey
Unconscious...? No, drunk.
Prey...

Predator.

Miss El was the only one willing to attack, but even I could sense that she was holding back because I had control of Avery. As much as she insulted and belittled him, it seems like she did care for him.
I glanced down at him. He was naked and shaking, such a pathetic sight to see. When I peeked, Miss El started laughing.

"You stupid Link. You don't even know how to use a gun do you?"

I growl, not understanding how she knew. My thought process was clouded. All I had was one thought on my mind.

Flight.

"Poor baby doesn't know how to take the gun off of safety."

I didn't even know what the fuck that meant. But I had enough. If I shot Avery, that would spare me some time to escape. It was just another human. My safety mattered more. I hold the gun up to his head, and pull the trigger.

Click.

I look down, no sound, no bullet. Maybe a missing round? I pull it again.

Click.

Miss El begins to cackle, even Puppet cracks a nervous smile. I didn't understand what was so funny. Why was this human weapon not working?!

Click, click, click.

"Aw. Girl can't figure out the safety, how sa-"

BASH.

I take the back of the gun and slam it into the side of Avery's face. I could hear bones crack, echoed by a scream. I didn't care if I couldn't shoot it, I was going to find some way to use the damn gun. I let go of him and he proceeded to fall over. Puppet and El were frozen in shock. I took this as an opportunity to open the closet door behind me, and slam it shut, locking it behind me. The click of the lock was followed the pounding and knocking of Puppet and El. I could feel myself grin, adrenaline rushing through me. My night vision was even better than before now that I was in Primal Mode, and I could see the ladder Avery was talking about at the back of the closet.

I place the gun in my mouth, gripping the handle between my teeth, and begin to make my way up the rusted ladder. I used my arms and right leg, my left leg being completely useless at this point. But even with one less leg, I could climb up the ladder with ease.

I left the building, the last thing I heard was the howling of Avery.