Prologue

"You wanted to see me Roger?" Matt asked as he walked into the room and shut the door behind him

"Yes, Matthew take a seat." Roger says gesturing to a chair across from him.

"Roger, you know I hate it when you call me Matthew, cause that's not my name" Matt says sitting down in the chair

"Sorry, Matt." Roger folded his arms on his desk and looked up at Matt. "I am sure you are aware of the situation with Mello and Near."

Matt nodded taking a drag of the cigarette he had. "Yeah... They're soulmates and Mello can't stand Near. So neither one of them are going to say their real name"

"Exactly." Roger said "I wanted to tell you that L has been made aware of this situation. And since you are Mello's best friend he would like to speak with you in person"

Matt coughed through the smoke of his cigarette

"L... wants to meet and talk to me... In person?" he asked looking up at Roger who nodded

"Yes. He does he wants to help solve this situation. L is currently in Japan working on the Kira case. Just let me know when you are ready to leave. Also I believe it is fairly clear that you must not let Near or Mello know where you are going."

Matt nodded "I understand." he said getting up and walking out of the room Mello was leaning against the wall a few feet away from the door when Matt walked out.

"So did Roger bust you for sneaking those cigarettes past him into your room after dark?" He asked Matt glanced at him for a second before breaking into a smile

"Nah. He'll never be able to figure out where they come from. It was something else. Which reminds me. Mels I'm going to be leaving Wammy's house for a bit. I won't be gone forever. But I need you to try not to clash with Near while I'm gone."

Mello gritted his teeth nodding "No promises that everything between us will be smooth sailing but I'll try."

"Just stay out of his way and dont be in the same room with him if you dont have to." Matt replied

"Okay. Do you know when you'll be back?" Mello asked Matt shook his head

"No but I will try to be back as soon as its possible"

Mello nodded again and Matt pulled him into a hug

"I'll see you soon Mels" Matt said breaking apart and making his way into his room to pack his stuff.

Matt only wished he knew how bad things were going to get without him there to keep Mello in check.