¤ Thank You ¤

"Are you done crying?" Xael asked, taking Keegan's hand into his and stroking it with his thumb comfortingly.

Keegan smirked. "I'm not crying." She wiped tears off with her fingers.

"I just have something in my eyes." She joked like it was a piece of cake and Xael smiled softly.

He ruffled up her straight black hair before looking at her with a miserable look in his green eyes.

"I'm sorry. I don't know what the call was about and I don't know what I should do to comfort you. I know it's terrible. But when life knocks you down, you gotta get up." He said sincerely and Keegan shook her head.

"I don't know what to do next. I'm really scared...I think I should get going." She said nervously.

She stood up and start walking. Xael walked behind her, wondering what to do to comfort her when he remembered his mom.

"Keegan, can you come over to my place? I want you to meet my mom." Xael asked loudly as Keegan was a bit far away.

She stopped and turned back.

"No, not today, it's really late and I should.." before she could reply, he interfered.

"Come on, we can have dinner at home." Xael grabbed her hand and walked toward his house.

                       *************

Mrs. Walcott welcomed Xael and Keegan into their home.

"Mom, meet my new friend Keegan." Xael introduced Keegan to his mom.

"Nice meeting you, Keegan. I'm Brittany." His mom shook hands with Keegan.

She forced a smile on her face as she was tired.

"Keegan, are you alright? You look like you're freezing to death." Britt questioned to Keegan.

"Yes. I'm okay." Keegan replied. Xael tapped his hand on her shoulder.

"Mom, it's a cold night. I'm freezing too. Can we have something to eat? I'm really hungry and keegan is too..right?" He questioned Keegan who stood there wondering what to do as usual. She nodded.

"Okay. I'm coming. Keegan, take a seat and relax. I'll be back." Britt said to both and went to kitchen.

"Are you okay?" Xael questioned to Keegan. She nodded.

After few minutes, Britt called them for dinner. Keegan sat next to Xael at his tiny dining table and his mom, britt sat in front of them.

"Keegan, how's school? Are your grades good?" Britt questioned her. She replied with a nod and a smile.

After their dinner, Xael and Keegan walked outside. The place was calm and silent.

"Thank you". She broke the silence between them.

"Your most welcome." He replied with a huge smile on his face.

"See you tomorrow." She started walking toward the road.

"Wait. I'll come with you. It's dark outside." He said, taking off after her.

She didn't say anything against it because she already knew that he would insist and she didn't feel like arguing. They didn't talk each other on the way back to her home.

                     ************

"Where were you? Why didn't you pick up your phone?" Keegan's mom, Karen questioned her furiously.

She pulled out her phone and saw that it was dead.

"Mom, the battery died, I didn't know." She replied showing phone to her mom.

" How many times... Let me make clear to you that I will not accept you as my daughter because as far as I know that I don't have an ungrateful child like you. You are messed up, because of you, I had to suffer a lot of troubles today." Karen screamed to Keegan with her scary loud voice.

Keegan got terrified. Her lips started to tremble as she burst into tears. She didn't reply and instead ran towards stairs to her room.

It was 3am in the morning. Keegan was fully awake and nothing had distracted her from the memories of her mom's words. Tears rolled down her temples as she finally closed her eyes, and instantly fell asleep.

Next morning, Keegan woke up late and arrived 20 minutes late for school. She walked toward her first class, history, with her head down because her eyes were red and puffy.

When she entered the class, Ms. Amelia asked why she was late. Instead of answering, she just gave a sad smile. As she sat down at her seat, she felt the stares of all students. Her eyes met Xael's but she turned away and pretended to pat attention to what the teacher was saying.

Keegan sat quietly, diving into memories of her miserable life. How bad it was. What happen to her Mon and why she was behaving like that.

                    --- Flashback---

"Mom, is there anything for breakfast? I'm getting late." Keegan questioned her mom forgetting for a moment about what happened last night.

She wanted her mom back.

She stepped down the stairs, carrying her backpack. She wore a black top with blue-black ripped jeans.

There was no reply of her mom so she headed towards the kitchen. There she was! She saw her mom standing near the gas stove. She walked toward her acting normal.

"Mom, what are you doing? Can you hurry up a bit? I'm getting late." Again she questioned with a normal tone.

Suddenly, her mom turned around with a rude face. She uttered the sort of words that Keegan would never get used to, no matter how many times she heard them.

" Am I your servant? Should I have to do everything you say. If you want to hurry, why don't you wake up early and cook it yourself?"

The words destroyed her. She felt tears rolling down her face. She left home and ran as fast as she could to catch the bus. Unfortunately, she missed it and had to walk.

                   --- Flashback ends---

"Hello.. Keegan. Are you there?" Ms.Amelia said, snapping her fingers.

Keegan came back from her memories and jumped back. She looked around the class , all students had left.

"Shit." She said in a hurry and picked up her backpack.

"What are you daydreaming about? I'm surprised, today was the first day that you didn't snore in my class.it's a miracle." Ms.Amelia said sarcastically.

Keegan was already in a bad mood so she didn't reply and left for the second period.

                    **************

Hello guys! I m really sorry for not updating last few months.
Thanks all for reading my story and I will try my best to update next chapter as soon as possible.
Keep reading and voting!!! 😊