¤ What F.E.A.R really means? ¤

After the end of school, Keegan reached her locker to put away the books. The hall looked empty, all the students hurried to go home. Suddenly, she heard the sound of a heel.

She felt her heart pounding fast but she stayed calm as a cucumber to show that she wasn’t afraid.

“Oh, loco is here!” Hayden said, smiling standing in front of Keegan’s locker with her minions. Keegan widened her eyes when she saw them.

“Yes, what do you want?” Keegan questioned.

“Oh! So curious to know,” Hayden replied.

“Don’t waste my time…Move.” Keegan made an attempt to get rid of her again.

“Hey, you bitch. I’m minding my own business, okay? And by the way, you’re the reason I’m here. You were lucky to escape with that nerd that day but today, fortunately, there’s no one and you can’t go until I let you.” Hayden stepped toward Keegan letting out an evil laugh.

Keegan felt herself tremble. Whenever Hayden pestered her she somehow managed to escape. Today, though, she didn’t think she would get that chance.

“You need me to complete your notes, but I’m sorry. You know that I’m no good at studies. Okay. Let me go,” she said and made to move but Hayden grabbed her shoulder and pushed her against the locker.

“You… keep your mouth shut. That wasn’t funny.” Hayden said in a terrifying tone.

Keegan involuntarily let out a scared whimper.

“Oh! Are you scared, little girl? You think you’re strong. But we know the truth. You’re a coward. You don’t have the courage to face anything. You’re used to running away. You escape because you have too much of that feeling called FEAR. Guys, see she’s shivering like a mouse.” Hayden said with a laugh.

“Poor Keegan,” crooned one of her friends who stood next to Hayden. With that, everyone started laughing.
Keegan wished for the ground to open up and swallow her whole. Suddenly, there he was, Xael. He was coming towards her.

“You little bitches. Leave her alone.” Xael shouted in an intimidating voice which managed to make Hayden and her friends leave.

“You okay? Don’t mind what they say,” Xael said to Keegan, who still hadn’t recovered from what Hayden said.

“Kea. It’s okay. I’m here. If you need me, I’ll always be here for you. You can escape and hide every time, but you have to understand that someday you’ll have to face everything. That’s what fear really is. Running away is the act of a child.” He said holding her hand.

“You don’t know what fear really is, it’s not facing things. Facing everything is bravery which is something that I don’t have. Fear is the feeling that paralyzes you and forces you to run away from whatever it is that you fear. That’s what I do. I give in to the fear. If I face it, I’ll come to regret it later. And you need to know that I’m not a child. I don’t need a babysitter and I can take care of myself” Keegan freed her hands and started to walk away.

Xael grabbed her hand again and walked towards the classroom.

“Let go of my hand. I want to go home.” Keegan said to him but he didn’t.

Xael opened the door of the empty classroom in front of them, walked in, and freed her hands. He closed the door and approached Keegan who stared at him with wide eyes.

“What are doing? I have to go.” Again she felt scared and wanted to escape but Xael stopped her.

“Take a seat. I want to talk.” He said pointing to the seat in front of her.

“Keegan, this is what life really is. It’s like a war. It is tough and it always will be. But it’s up to you to make it complicated or simple. You have to constantly fight. And win against everything that life throws at you. Don’t be scared to face the problems. I know that you’re scared. It’s human nature to be scared. But you have to fight that fear. I’m here to help. Tell me what’s going on. I know it’s tough because I’ve experienced it too but now I’ve moved on. If I can do it, so can you.” Xael said with an encouraging smile.

Keegan stared at Xael’s eyes with many questions on her face.

“What you know about me? Huh? You don’t even have an idea of what I’m going through, so how can you compare my problems to yours? Are you here to tutor me? Are you a psychologist? You’re no different from everyone else. You think I’m loco, stupid and idiotic.” Keegan said with a loud angry voice. She stood up.

“Thanks, but I don’t need your help.” She started to walk away.

Xael grabbed her wrist. “Please Kea” He said softly.

“Just stop your acting. Why are you so concerned about me all of a sudden? And don’t call me Kea. I hate it.” She replied.

“You have to admit that you can’t live alone. There is no one who is completely independent. You accepted me as a friend a few weeks ago, so I have right as a friend to ask you what’s going on. Why are you so different? And where is the old Keegan I knew before?” He asked with a hopeful look in his eyes.

                       **********