^ Jealousy ^

The days passed by fast and soon it was fall. Every day after school, Keegan and Xael walked home together. Xael’s house was a few houses away from Keegan’s, so it became a habit that they go to and from school together.

They were walking home one day, when Keegan finally asked him the question that had been bothering her for a while.

“Hey, Xael. Tell me something.”
He looked at her and gestured to continue.

“The first few days you visited me at the hospital, you seemed really mad about something and I even heard you arguing with someone over the phone. I couldn’t hear what you were saying, so I was just wondering what that was about.”

“Oh, yeah. Well, you know that it was Hayden who caused the accident, right?”

“Yeah. Speaking of, she came over yesterday and asked to talk. She apologized for everything and I forgave her,” she said.

“Really? I guess people do surprise you sometimes. So anyway, she was the one I was talking on the phone with while you were admitted. I was mad at her for hurting you. At the time, I didn’t believe her when she said that she didn’t do it on purpose.”

“Aw, were you that worried about me?” she teased.

“Yes I was. I care about you a lot.” His eyes were serious.

His words made her heart started beating fast and she had to drag her eyes away from his, a blush creeping up her neck.

They were comfortably silent the rest of the way home.

After Xael left Keegan at her doorstep, Keegan walked inside. However, she suddenly remembered something and quickly walked out, hoping to catch him before he reached his house. She was a few steps outside her house when she saw something that made her heart clench with pain. She rushed back inside.

“Honey? What’s wrong? You look like you just saw a ghost,” her mom asked her.

“Mom, Xael’s talking to a girl, she seems the same age as us, but I’ve never seen her before. Xael seemed so excited to see her. They were hugging. He never told me anything about her. I don’t know what’s happening to me. Why is this bothering me so much? I went back to give him his notebook but after seeing them together I couldn’t face him.” Keegan had tears in her eyes.

After the accident, she had become close enough to her mother to share her problems with her.

“Keegan, do you like Xael?” Karen questioned.

“What? Come on mom, we are like best friends. We don’t like each other. And even if I did, I’m sure he won’t feel the same about me. Okay?” Keegan widened her eyes, as if trying to convince herself.

“You don’t know that he won’t. If you really like someone then you will miss that person 24/7. You’ll think about what that person’s doing right now. You’ll think about them a lot. And one thing I know clearly is that you really like him. Look at what your reaction was to seeing him with another girl. I think you should tell him about your feelings. And let’s see what he says to you. I am sure he likes you too.” Karen told her.

Later that night, Keegan couldn’t sleep. She was waiting for a call but Xael didn’t call her. She couldn’t wait any longer so she dialed his number.

“Xael, your phone is buzzing. Who’s calling you this late? Ooh, is that the girl you like?” Ellie wiggled her eyebrows at him suggestively.

“Yeah, maybe that’s her. I didn’t call her tonight, maybe that’s why.” Xael said in a happy mood.

Ellie was his first cousin. She was the same age as him and lived with his aunt. They both were really close since they were kids. Ellie was really sad when Xael said he was going to move to a new town.

She picked up his phone and was gonna give it to him but suddenly she took the call and started talking.

“Hello… who am I talking to? Anyone there?” There was no reply, so after a few seconds, she ended the call.

“She didn’t talk? That’s weird,” Xael said in an unsure tone.

Keegan was even more depressed after calling him. She was wondering who that girl was and why she was still with him.

It was summer break. She didn’t met Xael after that day. Xael called and messaged her nonstop but she couldn’t bring herself to pick up his calls or reply to his messages.

It was a sunny morning, Keegan stayed awake that night, thinking about Xael’s behavior. She went to the only place where she felt peace. The mountain.
She heard a girl’s laughter. Wondering who was here this early in the morning, she headed towards the voice.

It was Xael’s new friend. The girl she saw hugging him.

When Xael saw her, Keegan froze. Her eyes were red from crying and there were bags under her eyes. She hadn’t slept last night.

“Hey Kea! Where have you been? I was really worried about you. I was gonna visit you today.” Xael was really in a great mood.

Keegan stood still. No words came to her mouth.

“Kea, everything okay? What happened? Why you are so silent?” Xael questioned her.

“So this is Keegan. Hey, I’m Ellie. Xael’s cousin. Nice to finally meet you. Xael has been talking my ears off about you.” Ellie greeted her with a smile.
Keegan broke down. She thought Ellie was his girlfriend.

“I should have actually asked you without jumping to conclusions. I’m sorry Xael. I’m stupid.” Keegan said silently to herself.

“What did you say?” Xael said in a confusion.

“It’s nothing. So great to meet you Ellie. He didn’t tell me he had a cousin. I was just surprised.” Keegan said with a smile. “And why are you up so early?” she turned to Xael.

“Well, Ellie here wouldn’t let me sleep.” Xael complained.

Keegan and Ellie started laughing. This was the first time in a while that Keegan had laughed so hard. She forgot about the negative thoughts that had been weighing her down.

                             ******

A/N
So how was it? Do you guys like it??
Plz don't forget to vote, comment!!
Now last chapter remaining!! Yayy!! Finally!! 😀❤