Chapter Three

Days, weeks, then months passed. Jane graduated from secretarial school and quickly secured a position at the firm where her mother worked. Here she put her intelligence and research skills to good use, quickly proving herself an excellent employee, just as her mother had done and still did. As the firm adopted new technologies, Jane trained herself to become efficient as a computer researcher too, all the while proving herself invaluable to her new bosses.

One day, she came home from work early, only to hear her mother in her bedroom making the sex-charged sounds that she often made when one of her male friends visited. Jane thought it strange that a man would be visiting her mother in the middle of the afternoon, so she tip-toed down the hallway and gently pushed on her mother's bedroom door. It was unlocked, as apparently her mother had not expected Jane home so early from work. Peeking in through the crack, Jane saw her mother lying naked on her bed, her legs parted, and a strange device held between them. Thinking her mother might be in some danger, Jane gasped audibly and rushed in.

Her mother screamed and sat up, dropping the device on the floor beside the bed. She called out Jane's name and Jane sheepishly neared the bed.

"Mother," said Jane. "I'm sorry, I scared you. I saw you...and I was worried about you."

"Jane," said her mother, breathing hard. "You know you should knock on my door."

"Yes, mother, I'm sorry," replied Jane, "but I heard you making those sounds you make when one of your men friends spends the night and I thought one of them must be here now––in the afternoon."

"No," said Jane's mother. "No one is here. You...you..." Her mother bit her lip and glanced at the device on the floor.

"What is that, mother?" asked Jane, pointing at the unusual rubber device beside the bed.

"Oh, Jane," sighed her mother. "Maybe it's time that you learn about this too. It's better that the information come from me than from some creep in a back alley. Why don't you sit down?" Jane did as her mother asked and sat on the side of her bed.

Jane's mother picked up the device on the floor and showed it to Jane.

"Here," she said. "Just hold it. It won't hurt you. It's called a dildo." Jane took the strange rubber object and turned it over in her hands. It was shaped like a penis, Jane saw. A very large penis. In fact, it was huge, with veins and bumps in the surface just like the real thing. On the flat base of the device imprinted in tiny letters on the surface, she read the words "Wagstaff Industries. Molded from Life."

Jane's mother rose, threw a loose robe around herself, and went to her dresser and opened the bottom drawer. She removed a large wooden chest and brought it to the bed. "This is my special collection," she said. "Someday, it will be yours. Of course, you may wish to acquire some special pieces of your own, but let me show you what I have and what they're for." She opened the box to reveal an array of unusual-looking devices, most of them long and cylindrical like the strange dildo object that Jane was still holding.

"This is my collection of...lady's helpers. When my men friends aren't around, I use these to provide me with pleasure. Like the dildo you are holding. Take it into the bathroom and wash it and dry it with a towel before I put it away." Jane did as directed, then returned it to her mother, who then reached into the wooden box and removed a smaller oblong gold box and opened it. She took the dildo from Jane's hands and replaced it in the gold box––its black velvet interior perfectly shaped to cradle the device. "This is Old Reliable," she said, almost religiously. Jane noticed the same words "Old Reliable" were printed on the outside of the box. "It's my favorite dildo. It's really the perfect dildo. To tell you the truth, it's a better fit than the penises of all of my men friends put together."

"I don't understand," said Jane, squinting her nose in confusion.

"Not today," replied her mother. "But it won't be long and you will. It won't be long and you will feel urges––urges that will only be satisfied by the feel of a man's penis inside of you. Unfortunately, we women cannot always secure a man's penis when we need one, so a 'dildo' comes in handy. And this dildo––Old Reliable––is the best dildo in the world, in my opinion. Someday, you may want to try it––and you will see."

Jane did not see––at least at that time. She had led a very sheltered life. But it wasn't long before she did. Not long before she had an opportunity to realize that her mother had not lied to her and that sometimes all the men in the world with real penises couldn't compare to just one Old Reliable.