Chapter Ten

Jane quickly applied for the position of the decade, along with dozens of other Wagstaff secretaries--from the pool and even many from mid-level management. The event had a Cinderella and the Prince feel about it, thought Jane. Being secretary to Harold Wagstaff was the plum and there were lots of court ladies milling about trying to get that plum. Jane realized that she would have to do more than merely be the best secretary in the bunch--she'd have to do much more to stand out from the many women (yes, mostly women applied, although there were a few men). She would have to make herself unique. She just didn't know what that uniqueness entailed.

It was time for some research. That's really what a secretary did, Jane reasoned. Each day, every day, as a member of the secretarial pool at Wagstaff Industries, she solved little puzzles. She figured out problems. As she moved from one manager to another, she realized that each one had different needs, with different little problems to be solved along the way. With each new manager to whom she was assigned, she had to do research, to solve problems. Her first problem with each new manager, was to figure out what the problems were, and then solve them. For some managers, she had to figure out a way to organize the manager. For others, she had to figure out a way to motivate them. Others needed calming down or reassuring. But each required some research. She had to research the best way to organize a particular manager, depending on the type of organizing he needed. Same for motivation. What motivated one person, did not motivate another. And, yes, she could even use her secretarial and research skills to calm and reassure those managers who needed those attributes. She avoided using her newly developing sexual skills inside the company, because she realized that gossip would travel fast even in a large enterprise such as Wagstaff Industries, and she could not risk acquiring a bad reputation at this critical juncture of her career. It was not that she was opposed to using her carnal abilities--and truly she had developed those abilities quite effectively--she just intended to use them judiciously and at the exact right time to move her career forward.

Her interview with Harold Wagstaff was scheduled for a Friday at 3 p.m. The complete interview schedule was of such great interest to so many people in the company that the entire document was posted in the company newsletter as well as online. Jane counted the number of secretaries from various departments who had signed up to interview to become the next Barbara Bottomly. There were 43 women and six men in the running. Jane couldn't believe there were that many candidates. Of course, the position provided a great salary and many perks. Barbara Bottomly lived in a lovely home, Jane knew. And, of course, everyone was aware that she was heading out on an expensive around-the-world cruise. And, as the woman had been Wagstaff's secretary for over twenty years with virtually no scuttlebutt, everyone reasoned that Harold Wagstaff must certainly be the world's best boss.

As the interviews began, Jane listened attentively to any possible gossip from those secretaries who had their interviews early. Unfortunately, none appeared willing to talk. Jane had hoped that some would indicate the types of questions asked, any skills that were asked to be demonstrated, but to no avail. At one point, Jane managed to position herself outside of Harold Wagstaff's office--actually in the lobby outside of his office, as one of the candidates left after her interview. The woman said nothing, but zipped past Barbara Bottomly's desk with a quick scowl and onto the elevator with nary a sign of how she thought the interview had gone. Jane managed to hurry onto the elevator before the doors shut. She smiled at the middle-aged woman who did not respond and who continued to look straight ahead at the elevator door.

"Oh, my," said Jane, feigning breathlessness. "You weren't in interviewing for Mr. Wagstaff's executive assistant job, were you?"

The woman sneered without turning toward Jane. She harrumphed. "I wouldn't work for that dirty old man if you paid me a king's ransom," replied the woman, pulling the collar of her blouse up around her neck.