Chapter 9.5 ♚ The Real Power Of Potato

A/N: Inspiration on the town of Lumiresia :D

***

"Zoe!" the bodyguard shouted and followed her.

Her ninja reflexes were put into action as she avoided the torrents of pedestrians, only bumping into a few, yet she didn't dare to stop and apologize. When she reached the mouth of the narrow alley, the scent of mixed spices from a nearby restaurant sent her nostrils a flare. She swallowed the strong aroma and pushed forward, careful not to knock the pile of barrels and empty wooden crates. She arrived just in time when the biggest guy was about to punch the small girl.

"Hey!" she shouted, brandishing her only weapon--the potato. "What do you think you're doing?!"

The five turned to her, but the tall one trudged on her direction while cracking his knuckles, his face carved into a snarl.

"Zoe!" Darcy called.

When the group saw the young Prince, they immediately ran to the other side.

"That's right, you maggots!" she yelled. "Run like the wind or you shall face the real power of this potato!"

The young bodyguard pulled her arm, his face plastered with irritation. "Don't just take off like that! You're being reckless again. What if those thugs killed you?"

"It's nothing I can't handle." She drew herself free and handed him the potato, flipping back her hair.

Zoe approached the other girl, eyeing her honey-golden hair drenched with sweat. She could see her hands trembling and decided to stroke the girl's back, feeling her frail structure. She wasn't completely sure if it was the right thing to do, the thought of hugging her seemed awkward.

"Are you hurt?" she asked, trying to get a good view of her face, but the girl kept her gaze down.

"Don't worry, we won't hurt you," she continued. "By the way, I'm Zoe. What's your name?"

The other girl stopped shaking and slowly looked up, finally meeting Zoe's azure eyes with the same color.

"M- m- my name is--"

"Lady Arlette!" a man shouted, running from the other side. "I told you not to leave--" He froze in place as his eyes shifted from the two girls and traveled to Darcy.

"General Collosul?" Krista spoke as she arrived with the others. However, the man's gaze remained at the young Prince. Even though the he had a straight expression, Zoe could see anxiety through his eyes.

As if remembering who he was for the first time, the middle-aged man bowed, his heavy armor creaked in response. "Your Highness, I am glad to see you."

The young bodyguard nodded. "I see that you're quite busy."

The General lifted his head, his sharp jaw momentarily tightened. "Oh." His eyes averted from Arlette and back to Darcy. "The city is preparing for the arrival of his Majesty... your father."

After the last word left his mouth, Darcy's face turned grim like the Juggernauts. "I see," he said with a tone oozing with bitterness. His attention slid to the feeble girl who was wearing the same greenish coat as their group. "Who might be this young lady? I've never seen her in any Royal Gatherings."

He rubbed the nape of his neck and walked closer to the group. The knight sweat dropped and regarded their curious gazes. He surveyed the upper and lower alley, eyeing the busy street behind the them. "I am not supposed to speak of her identity," he said in a low voice. "But since it is the young Prince, I believe you have the right to know."

Suddenly, Zoe's heart hammered in her chest. She didn't know why, but something about this setting stirred an unsettling feeling inside her.

General Collosul checked the surrounding once more before meeting Darcy's golden eyes.

"Her name is Arlette Eigenhart, The Lost Heroine of Mamoria."

***

Dedicated to NightSilver_x

***

Thank you for reading! If you enjoyed this chapter, please consider voting :D

XOXO