Chapter 13 ♚ First Step To Darkness

A/N: Photo of King Spero Ludivic

***

Cold.

It was the only feeling she had while holding the woman's hand. She had enough hand shakes before, but those were with the nobles. Compared to them, her palm was so rough and full of callouses. She had read the same descriptions in books a lot of times, which made her wonder if the woman used to be a warrior.

But why was she imprisoned?

A pang of uneasiness spread inside her as the woman squeezed her hand, making her body shiver. The wind began to stir and her raising heartbeat drummed in her ears as if competing with the violent flutter of her white dress.

Black flames suddenly ignited their hands and Zoe tried to withdraw in alarm, but the woman's grip was like iron.

"No!" she shouted with inaudible voice, a ghastly expression plastered on her face. "What are you doing?!"

She screamed, whimpered, and froze as the flames crawled towards her, engulfing her body with a stinging chill.

"This is only the beginning, Zoe," the silhouette said, retrieving her arm into darkness.

Her knees buckled as the air was sucked out from her lungs, leaving her hammering her chest. Fear and panic devoured her, but when she blinked, her world returned to the present.

A sharp gasp echoed from her as she fought for her breath, staring at the last traces of black flames on the smoldering grass. However, that didn't render her to stare open-mouthed, but the fact that her hair grew twice its length and turned as bright as the moonlight. She took a few strands of her white hair and noticed the dark color of her nails.

"You, monster!" a deep voice bellowed.

Zoe looked up and their gazes met - gold against gold. His frown instantly deepened, yet his face became ashen with glinting sweat. The former King hesitantly backed away, lowering his weapon as he studied her sudden change.

"This is impossible," he said, searching her equally confused expression. "Who are you?!"

For the first time, she had no idea how to answer that question. It should have been simple. She had done it a thousand times, written it countless times, yet she couldn't say her name.

Could she still call herself Zoe?

Or perhaps this was the real Zoe?

No, she thought. I am the real Zoe and this simply a borrowed power . . . nothing more.

But her heart was telling her otherwise.

Before she could contemplate any further, the man charged.

"Die, you filthy monster!"

She watched him approach with her sharpened senses, blinking a few times before squinting her eyes, unsure if she was hallucinating. For some reasons, there was a bright aura around him as though he was covered with invisible light bulbs.

The man swung his weapon and her body moved, rolling towards Darcy's sword and seized it in one clean motion. All the soreness that she felt was gone, replaced by an energy she couldn't even fathom. It was humming inside her, ready to explode in action.

He struck and hit the grass where she stood, catching a glimpse of her shadow when she jumped.

Zoe landed on his broad sword and ran on its blade.

CLANG!

Her weapon made contact with his armor, creating a shower of sparks.

She quickly leaped backward.