Chapter 6.5 ♚ Predators Of The Sky

A/N: Inspiration on their airship named Lumina :D

***

Her vision started rolling with different images, from clouds to a herd of creatures emerging from it and to Darcy chasing her.

BAM!

Her body crashed on the creature and air instantly squeezed out from her lungs. She gasped and found herself rolling on its back. The succession of pains was just too shocking. Was this the normal life of a heroine?

Her mind automatically fast forwarded to different scenes of her possible death. Mostly gruesome. At the thought of her demise, the fire of resistance burned within her. She must not die here.

Zoe shifted her weight and started sliding on her stomach. She tried to grab for anything, but the creature's scales were too slippery and her fluffy slippers weren't helping. It continued to rise higher, increasing the momentum of her fall. In a few heartbeats, the creature reached its peak and a hand looped around her waist, dragging her away from the sparkly being.

She watched as its fins glided through the air like soft silks, making flying seem a piece of cake. Her eyes didn't blink at the view of its clear scales, reflecting the aurora lights and changing colors from green to red then blue, before disappearing beneath the veil of clouds and left nothing but wisps of smoke. It was an amazing experience to witness such huge creature soar the sky. Then another hand grabbed her and she found herself slumped on her savior's shoulder.

"Hey!" she shouted, glancing back at Darcy.

"Are you okay?" His voice ruffled by the wind.

"I think so!" she replied. "Can you carry me another way? This is so embarrassing!"

"I can't maneuver if you keep wriggling like a worm!"

Zoe bit back a curse.

She looked down. They were flying in the air with the help of a board. It looks like a surfing board, yet much smaller. Her eyes glinted with red flames as they wandered on the rear part and she wondered how did such a simple looking object could make one level with the sky.

Her attention shifted on the pads on the platform and noticed that Darcy was stepping on one of them, which she believed was the accelerator. It looked magnificent and easy to handle, she pondered if he would teach her how to ride one, after all, she was the heroine.

They approached the upside down ship, which was now stationary. They were a few meters away when another creature emerged in front of them, completely blocking their way. She held her breath and readied for the impact, but Darcy simply lifted his foot from the accelerator, causing them to free fall.

"Hold on tight!" he shouted and Zoe found herself gripping on his belt.

They drifted and she felt Darcy direct their fall farther from the creature, but its momentum seemed to pull them closer.

BAM!

A loud crash made Zoe crane her neck and witnessed the creature hit the nose of the ship, destroying the figurehead she never came to see. The vessel released another groan and flipped upwards. It froze while pointing to the sky and momentarily swayed as though unsure what to do. Then it fell back to its original position with a gentle seesawing, allowing a gush of the wind on their way.

After the creature flew high enough, Darcy stepped on the accelerator and they zoomed into the ship. The deck was wiped clean, good thing there was nothing broken other than the figurehead. They landed on the deck with a creak and Zoe was tempted to hug the wooden floor, but she decided it wasn't the time for that. She stood with her shaking legs and turned at the last of glass-like fishes.

Before she could ask, the wooden door burst open, unhinging itself with a bang. Ty stepped out with a hanging jaw and wild eyes, his curly hair sticking on his jiggling cheeks. "What just happened?"

"Is everyone alright?" Nox asked, coming out from the hallway with Krista.

Zoe acknowledged their spooked expressions, thinking that people who battled trackers could also be shaken by things like this. However, she noted that they seemed close to her age and maybe they were warriors still picking up experience.

"We're fine," Zoe answered, receiving a nod from the shorter man.

"There's a whole herd of them," Darcy said, carrying his board on his side. "It's rare for Sirens to show themselves. They were timid creatures after all."

"Unless..." the hooded girl trailed off.

A deep roar broke the moment of silence, shaking everything it reached with the purest fear. The group spun to gaze ahead of the ship, facing the direction where the Sirens came from.

Zoe's fluffy slippers squeaked when she moved closer to the group, "What was that?"

Their shaken faces turned dark and grim before mixing with alarm. She need not ask anymore, instead, she swallowed her squeal and muster the courage she had left.

"It's the infamous Predators of the Sky," Darcy finally spoke. "That explains why the Sirens are in a panic, they were being chased."

"This is so so so bad," Ty cried, "can't this get any worse?"

And the main mast behind them howled with agony and started bending to the side. The group turned as a satisfying crunch flew from the pole, and watched it tumble down the ship and disappeared.

"That was fast," Ty said and started chewing his bow.

"We have no time for this," Darcy snapped them from their trance. "Ty and Nox, prepare the booster. Krista, check on Hubert, make sure to turn the ship around and head for the nearest continent. Go at full speed. The ship would be slower than usual without the main mast, but it should buy us some time. Zoe and I will check the arsenals." He paused and a faint glow reflected on his face as his board disappeared on his hand. "Everyone, prepare for battle."

The three didn't argue with his orders and gave Zoe a glance of recognition before disappearing inside. Something about their faces and demeanor changed, one moment they were bickering brats that was easily shaken and when the moment required it they turned into warriors, overflowing with grace, valor, and confidence.

***

Dedicated to djansthepig

***

Thank you for reading! If you enjoyed this chapter, please consider voting :D

Also, if you guys love a good horror and a bunch of chills and head spinning mysteries, drop by at FinnyH. You'll never regret reading his worksヽ('▽`)/

XOXO