Chapter 17.2 ♚ Breather

A/N: Inspiration on the rooftop view of Esgarya.

***

Walking on the streets of Esgarya wasn't the best experience for Zoe. Although it was wide enough for three bulldozers, the number of the crowd seemed to increase as they trudge towards the Portal Station. Before leaving the cake shop, Lucio offered to create a portal for them, but Dilinjer insisted on showing Zoe a piece of the open city and also to serve as a breather from her five days of practice.

However, Zoe could hardly consider it as a breather. Different odors hang in the heavy air: sweat, perfumes, spiced foods, and the brief stench of the sewer. The boisterous atmosphere of the market also add weight to her ebbing patience, the vendors were simply too loud as if they had megaphones for breakfast.

Her muscles ached as she fought her way through the huge current of city people. She bumped into someone every ten seconds, and there were even a few who stepped on her boots, which made her scowl fouler each time. And after five minutes, she decided to set aside all her manners and dashed through the crowd, but she had quickly proven it as ineffective. Her body wasn't as tough as she hoped for.

Her height didn't make things easier either. Even though she was four inches past five feet, she felt small from the towering Mamorians, since the majority of them were a few heads taller than her. Good thing Dilinjer was on par with their height and his all white attire was hard to miss. He led the way as though making a path for her, yet the waves of people closed in like rushing water.

Looking at him now, Zoe sniggered at the fact that she was wearing the complete opposite of his outfit. But compared to him, her all black attire only intensified the effect of the glaring sun. She could almost feel its heat magnified on her black hair as though it was trying to fry her brain. Or rather, bake it.

When they arrived at the Portal Station, she was thankful from the dramatic depletion of the crowd. Unlike the horrifying odors outside, the station offered a refreshing air, the one she got from the lobby of five-star hotels. Using the cake shop's paper towels that she hoarded, she patted away the beads of sweat from her face and neck and allowed the rest to dry from the cool temperature.

Her eyes examined the place. Despite her wild imagination, the Portal Station was far from her fantasies. It was a circular building with a glass dome roof that provided a clear view of the blue sky. Its rays breathed life on the deep blue tiles speckled with silver, casting a band of colors along the walls that gave the room an outer space feel.

"Stay close," Dilinjer said and received a nod from Zoe, her eyes kept wandering about.

They followed the crowd towards the next room where they queued for the ticket. She watched as Dilinjer punched their location on the screen, including the number of tickets. Once he pressed the complete button, two tickets appeared between the rectangular hole below the screen.

He handed one to her and went on to proceed at the heart of the station. Dozens of portals decorated the walls of the huge, round area. Unlike Krista's portal, each one bore a different color, which changed after one person stepped inside. Nevertheless, she couldn't see that much from all the figures. Zoe simply walked behind the healer and stopped as they lined up in one of the portals.

She tugged the older man's sleeve and shouted above the noise, "Why are the portals changing color?"

He bent as he leaned closer, the fading scent of cigarette drifted her way. "The color depends on where you are going," he explained. "Because every continent has its respective color."

She frowned. "I thought there's only light and dark?"

He chuckled. "According to legends, after the God Kairos put up the barriers, she went into an eternal slumber. Each of her Guardians took one continent and helped the Mamorians to rebuild from rubbles. From that point, the Guardians passed down their skills and knowledge to their people, ensuring that they will be able to fight when Dark Creatures breached the barrier. And when they deemed that their people are ready, the Guardians went into an eternal slumber, protecting each continent with their presence."

Zoe tilted her head. "So each color represents a Guardian?"

He nodded in response while stroking his mustache. "For instance, the color purple represents the continent of Lumiresia, because of the Guardian Isillis. Another example is the continent of Esgarya, although it has no Guardian it has the color of bright green just like the continent of Nessmontdu where the Guardian Karandur is sleeping."

"If there's no Guardian here then why does it have a color? And how many Guardians are there? And the continents?"

Dilinjer breathed from his nose and sighed, his face remained calm as if it was a reservoir of patience. "There's a total of nine continents and only four Guardians, excluding Yraj. The remaining continents have the same color as the closest continent where a Guardian was believed to be sleeping."

"But why is Yraj excluded?" 

Then the answer chimed in her head. 

"Because she died," she mumbled.

And she mentally strangled herself for her own stupidity. 

Dilinjer suddenly straightened and looked ahead, seeing the huge lady in front of them entered the red portal. He turned back to her. "Watch closely."

Zoe peeled her eyes open, recording his every move.

The older man approached the small pole beside the railings that lead to the portal. He inserted the ticket into the hole and the incantations on the portal glowed a bright green.

Zoe suppressed the urge to whistle and drool from astonishment. If only traveling was that easy, she could be anywhere in the world in one day.

Dilinjer glanced over his shoulder and said, "I'll be waiting for you on the other side." Then he set foot into the portal, its surface rippled like water, and he disappeared.

***

Dedicated to intellectualnugget

***

Thank you for reading! If you enjoyed this chapter, please consider voting :D

XOXO