3

"I still can't believe you used to live here," Joe said. We both looked around my parent's neighborhood. If there was ever an opposite of Brooklyn, this was it.

"Yeah, me either. I'm still a Cincinnati girl at heart," I told him. "It's all a little rougher down there." We headed up the path to the house I'd spent my teenager years in. Joe adjusted his tie with the hand that wasn't holding a bouquet of flowers. I had told him not to bother with flowers, but he was adamant, so I helped him find my mother's favorite.

"How do I look?"

"Dashing," I teased. "Come on, it's just my parents." He just grunted in response.

My dad opened the door before we could knock. "Charlotte, Joe, there you are!"

"Sieg heil," Joe greeted him.

"Sieg heil," dad replied with a smile. He waved at the neighbors as he ushered us inside. "Charlotte cleans up nicely, doesn't she?"

"Mom would've had a cow if I wasn't dressed to the nines."

"Her look is the only thing she knows how to clean," Joe joked.

I turned on him quickly. "Oh no, not you too! Why don't you two bond over how much you love teasing me, I'm going to go find mom."

"She's in the kitchen, honey." I kissed my dad on the cheek and headed out of the room.

My mother was standing over the counter chopping vegetables. I admired her for a moment before announcing my presence. She was the opposite of me in every way, but she was also the best mother I could ever ask for. I cleared my throat and she looked up.

"Oh, Charlotte!" She sat down the knife she was holding, and came to give me a big hug. "I've missed you! Do you know how long it's been since you've come for a visit?"

"Too long, I know," I said. "I've just been so busy at the hospital."

She shook her head. "Is Joe with you?" I nodded. "Your father said he was coming. I'm so glad he made it back from his trip in time for the holiday."

"Me too."

"Any idea when he's going to pop the question?" She asked conspiratorially.

I laughed. "No, but I promise you will be the first to know." I pulled her by the arm toward the living room. "Speaking of, we should probably go save him from daddy."

"Kids? Your sister's here!" Mom called up the stairs as we walked by.

"Good to see you again, Mrs. Smith," Joe said. "These are for you."

She accepted the flowers with a smile. "They're beautiful, thank you! And please, call me Helen, I've told you."

The sound of the kids' footsteps running down the stairs sounded like a heard of elephants. Amy and Jennifer latched onto me immediately. I squeezed them both back. Mom pried them off and made them say hello to Joe. I hugged Thomas next, but let go when I saw my dog over his shoulder.

Max ran right up to me and I dropped down to my knees. I heard my mom tsk at my unladylike behavior. "Hey, buddy, it's been a while." He licked my face and I laughed. My mother shook her head. Joe bent down next to me, and Max put his front paws on his knees. I grinned at Joe, and he smiled back.

My mom roped me into helping cook, while my dad talked to Joe. For a while mom attempted to bring out the buried cooking skills she was sure I had. But eventually, she gave up and sent me outside to keep the kids entertained.

Thomas was the oldest of my younger siblings, but even he was barely more than half my age. The age gap had meant we were never close, and honestly I thought he was a little jealous. Dad had never treated me like a fragile doll, the way most daughters were treated. Girls didn't play a lot of sports, but dad made sure I was athletic. He paid for me to go to college, and encouraged me to get a job before settling down. He taught me everything he could about politics. Thomas drew the short end of the stick. By the time he was born, I was a firmly established daddy's girl.