44

Kaeli had decided to not go back to the plane. She figured if there was no hope left, she might as well see a beautiful sight before she was gone. She came to a cliff face overlooking the Atlantic ocean. The white-capped waves broke against the rocky cliff face below, sending sea spray into the air. A rainbow glowed across the sprawl of the sea, arching over the waves. It was beautiful. She shed a tear.

She had seen the helicopters sweeping the island. She didn't bother to signal them, because she knew they wouldn't do anything. It was a terrifying thought; being so close to salvation but being denied of it.

She thought about Manuel. Her one last shred of humanity. She thought he would have brought joy to her life. Instead, he was taken away and she got despair. And now she was spending her last moments on a terrible island, looking out at the sunrise over the ocean.

She knew what was coming. She studied disease control, and what was coming was scary. She wanted to be home. With Manuel. She wished she could have that with all her might, but she couldn't. She was alone now. She wasn't ready to be alone.

A roaring noise cut through the sky. Kaeli looked up to see a V shaped formation of fighter planes coming towards the island. She began to cry. She shut her eyes.

They came over the island's edge. There was the awful sound of an explosion, like a massive zipper being opened up. The sky whistled. Kaeli glanced up at the ice blue sky one last time as fire rained down upon the earth.