Antiques

The group sit in silence. ‘So, basically, we have to find the mirror?’ Geoffrey asks.

                ‘Yup! So let’s get started. First thing, though: I feel disgusting. Can I get changed into something else? Please?’

                ‘We can go shopping, if you would like, Ebsy.’

                ‘Yes, please.’

                ‘Geoffrey? Moist? Would you like to come?’

                So the four go out shopping, and get back to Moist’s house in less than an hour. Ebsy showers and gets changed into jeans and a light blue T-shirt.

                ‘Right, so where should we start looking?’ Geoffrey asks.

                ‘Well, is there anywhere that sells mirrors or such like? If so: we should start there,’ Ebsy states. The other three agree and Penny talks of an antique store owned by one of her friends, which is where they head to right away. As they walk Geoffrey questions Ebsy.

                ‘So, how was last night, Ebsy?’ he asks as they walk.

                ‘Boring.’

                ‘What happened?’

                ‘Nothing.’

                ‘Really? Why were you at Moist’s?’ He looks at Ebsy suspiciously.

                ‘Does it matter?’

                ‘Yes, it does. Why were you sitting in the street crying?’

                Ebsy doesn’t get to reply because at that point they reach the store. The little bell jingles as they enter. Moist, Geoffrey and Ebsy wander around the shop as Penny goes straight to the counter.

                ‘Missy! Hello?’ she calls out. There’s no reply. ‘Missy? It’s Penny.’ She turns and looks at the other three, who shrug.

                The sound of something falling over startles the group, whose attention heads straight to the source of the noise; a cardboard box had fallen off a shelf. Or, as they work out, was pulled off. Standing behind the box is a woman in her thirties with short orange hair and eyes a piercing red.

‘Missy…? What’s wrong with your eyes?’ Penny asks, slowly walking over to her. Missy hisses at her and climbs behind the counter.

You are looking for the Mirror of Alexia,’ Missy says in Xalnus, the language of the Xalnadi.

                ‘Yes.’ Ebsy replies. The other three all turn to look at her, surprised.

                ‘You understand her?’ Moist asks. Ebsy nods.

                ‘She is speaking in Xalnus. It is the language of the Xalnadi; the people with Magic Blood.

                ‘I had forgotten you understood it, Ebsy.’ Geoffrey says, shaking his head slowly.

                ‘What did she say?’ Penny asks.

                ‘She said “You are looking for the Mirror of Alexia.” Do you know where it is?

                ‘Yes. But I shall not show you. You must never return to where you were once from.

                Ebsy looks at her in confusion. ‘What do you mean? Why not?

                ‘Because She must return.’

                ‘What’s she saying? Does she know where the mirror is?’

                Ebsy turns to them. ‘Yes. But she won’t tell me. She says that we must never return because She must return,’ She then turns to Missy, ‘Who’s “She”?

                ‘My Mistress. Cassia, the Great Witch of Grimvorne. The rightful ruler of the Kingdom of Llamas.

                Ebsy’s eyes find Geoffrey’s. ‘Do you know a Cassia, Geoffrey?’

                Geoffrey’s face shows a mix of emotions before looking grave. ‘Yes. She is my twin sister.’