The Train Ride

Although the adults didn't believe them, all ten children knew what they had seen that spring night. They knew with complete certainty that Jacob Zagyva (self-proclaimed Iakob Grindelwald) had died trying to bring back the most powerful dark wizard of all time and that he nearly succeeded. The last flicker of hope that several of them had cherished had been quashed when the most powerful Dark Lord of all time had recognized his daughter and, most importantly, they knew if they valued their friend's life they could never tell another soul. However, there were other things they had yet to discuss. Early the next morning, before any rumors had spread and while the younger children were still among them, all ten met in an empty classroom behind a particularly ugly statue of Bathilda Bagshot holding a copy of A History of Magic.

When Bel, Cat, and Scorpius entered, they found that they were the last to arrive. Teddy, who had been sent to the Hospital Wing to fix his injuries, had already been released and looked rather well. Madam Pomfrey was an exceptionally good healer, and though she was reluctant to release him so quickly, she gave in after seeing how well he'd progressed. Teddy quietly attributed his remarkably fast healing ability and reflexes to his werewolf blood, though in most other ways it seemed to be completely dormant. Madam Pomfrey had wanted to keep all ten children overnight, just in case, but other than a few scratches—and supposedly being Confudled—they were completely well.

Bel sent Teddy a relieved smile, and James a quick nod, before taking the seat beside him and they started the meeting. After about thirty minutes spent evaluating all of the so-called reasonable explanations offered by the adults, they had all reestablished that what they had seen was exactly what had actually happened. Each of them could recall the event in extreme detail without fault. They decided that no matter how convinced the adults were, it just couldn't be a spell. No one was that good about faking that many memories; there were always gaps. And the idea of mass hallucination was just plain silly. Then, they moved on to things that actually mattered.

"I swear on Merlin's beard that there was a book on that desk, but when we came back with the adults, it was gone!" Scorpius exclaimed.

Victoire nodded, "I'm almost certain I saw the same thing. Is anyone else absolutely certain they saw an old book?"

The group continued this conversation for several more minutes until it seemed that the majority was thoroughly convinced that there had indeed been a book. Albus couldn't remember, but he admitted to not getting a good look at the piles of papers. Upon further consideration, they came to the conclusion that it had to have been the Book of Necromancy. It didn't make sense any other way.

"But how did it just disappear like that?" Albus asked.

James shuddered at the thought, hoping the mundanely logical, but sinister, conclusion he'd drawn wasn't the only one possible.

"It had to have been taken after we left, but before the adults came. The only problem is, it could be anyone! There were so many families in the village that night." Rose reasoned.