5

Britch's POV

It began to get dark and from the opening in the trees i could see a few twinkling stars. Shane took out a flashlight for when it got really dark and he and i talked about our lives and school and anything that seemed to matter.

I had one thing i had on my mind that i wanted to tell him but it wouldn't come out. My throat began to hurt anytime i tried to say it and a lump would form in my throat, preventing any noise to be let out. So i'd just simply crack a joke or tell him something i used to do as a kid.

We shared storied of our childhood and continued laughing our asses off, our voices slightly echoed through the trees. It was ominous yet somewhat romantic. 

Shane reached into the backpack he had with him and pulled out a small rose. He handed it to me with a shy smile on his face. 

"You said it was your favorite..." He muttered.

"Oh my gosh Shane! Thank you!" I took the rose with a huge smile and kissed his cheek.

"It's kind of cheesy and stupid but... I don't know..." He mumbled.

"No, no, it's cute. And sweet! Thank you." I rested my head on his shoulder. 

He wrapped his arm around me waist as we stared up at the stars and enjoyed the sound of crickets and leaves rustling. 

"I wish we could stay like this forever." I sighed. 

"I do too... Just holding you is all that could ever make me happy." 

I turned to look at him and slowly leaned in, he met me in the middle and our lips connected. Sparks flew through me and butterflied erupted in my belly. 

We pulled away and i resumed my position of my head on his shoulder and his arm protectively around me. Making me feel safe. 

My phone started to ring loudly, startling us both. I suddenly felt dread wash over me as i thought of how my parents don't know where i am.

I carefully and shakily took out my phone, shooting Shane a scared look as i saw it was my mom calling. 

I hesitated but answered the call and pressed the speaker to my ear.

"H-Hello?" I choked out.

"Where the hell are you?!" My mom shouted.

"I'm just out... don't worry i'm fine." I replied in a small voice.

"Of course i'm worrying! You left without any sign or word of where you're going and when you'll be home! It's dark out!" She hissed.

"Mom, i'm okay. I'm just in the forest. I'll come home soon." I defended.

"In the dark forest alone?! Are you crazy?! You come home now!" She shouted.

"Mom, i'm not alone, don't worry. I'm safe!"

"Who's with you?!"

"Um..." I looked at Shane, hesitantly before replying. "I'm with Emma, we're fine don't worry."

"Oh? Are you spending the night with her?" Her voice softened.

"Um... Yeah. Sorry i forgot to tell you." I lied.

"Oh, okay then. May i speak to her mom?" She asked.

"Uh, no you can't she's... um.... sick... and asleep. She need's her rest." I laughed nervously.

"Oh, alright. Tell her i hope she's alright and i'll see you tomorrow? Say, Noon?"

"Yep, perfect! Love you mom." 

"Love you darling. See you tomorrow. Bye." She hung up and i sighed in relief, relaxing into shane's side.

"What'd you tell her?" Shane asked.

"I told her i'm staying at Emma's"

"But... That means you can't go home tonight..." He sounded worried.

"Well i could always just go home and say emma started to not feel well." I replied.

"Or...I could sneak you into my house." He suggested. 

"I mean... yeah... that could work. But... no funny business." I joked.

"Promise." he kissed my cheek. He then checked his phone for the time. "We should head out now though." He stood up.

"Okay then." I giggled. He stretched his hand out to help me up and i took it. His hand wrapped around my wrist and i yelped in pain at my new cut that he squeezed.

"Oh my gosh i'm sorry!" He shouted. I stood up quickly, to cover my pain.

"No, no, its okay. I bead dug into my wrist i'm fine." I lied. He scanned my face to make sure i was okay and i shot him a sweet smile.

"I don't buy it." He took my hand and i fought back but his strength over took mine and he moved my bracelets. I suddenly fount the dirt beneath my feet very interesting as i stared at it intently, my eyes welling up with tears of shame.

"Britch..." He started, his thumb grazing my scars and cuts gently. "Why....?"

"I have no answers." I choked out. "I'm an idiot." 

He placed his hand under my chin and lifted my gaze to him. He wiped my tears carefully, a face or sympathy and worry stared back at me. He pulled me into a tight hug and i melted into him, sobbing into his shoulder. "I'm sorry." I whimpered out.

"No, i'm sorry. I wasn't there when you needed someone." He whispered, rubbing my back.

"I need you to save me, Shane, save me from myself." i whispered.

"I'll do anything it takes." He vowed. We then went to his house and stayed up all night whispering as he made my laugh and forget about my arm and all the bad thoughts.