Chapter 28

AN: Updated 12/26/20

"Ripped your stitches. All of them, as a matter of fact," Hershel said as he looked over Daryl's wounds.

When they got back to the farm, Daryl and Ace found that nearly everybody was inside the house, making dinner in the kitchen. Daryl nearly bolted away from Ace, not looking back at her once.

Ace followed slowly behind him, allowing the space between them to grow. She felt like shit.

They got a big greeting when they came inside, and not a very happy one at that. No one was very pleased that they left unannounced, Ace having done it twice.

Hershel was forcing them both to sit in the room he stitched Daryl up in yesterday so he could check on them. Ace tried to convince him she was fine, really really not wanting to invade Daryl's space anymore. Daryl was tense as Hershel was bringing Ace back over. He told her with a bruise as big as hers on her forehead, it wouldn't be a surprise if she had a minor concussion.

"This is why you were supposed to be on bed rest," Hershel said as he started getting supplies to sew up Daryl.

"M'fine," Daryl snorted. "Got a little girl that needs lookin' for."

"Not by you, not right now," Hershel wiped the dried blood off his wound. Ace sat in the same chair she was yesterday, not daring to look up. "You'll spend the night in here and tomorrow, you will not leave this farm. Neither of you."

Daryl was about to snap at him, but Hershel dug the needle in his skin, getting Daryl to cringe and forget what he was going to say.

Hershel quickly stitched him up again, wrapping a new bandage around his side and cleaning off the wound on his head.

Daryl had a scowl on his face as he tugged his shirt back on while Hershel went over to Ace. He made her follow his fingers with her eyes, and even went as far as shinning a flashlight to see how they respond.

"There are no signs of a concussion, but that doesn't mean you don't have a small one. Tomorrow take it easy and make sure to ice where you hit your head," Hershel walked back over to the bed, gathering all the supplies he brought in and wiping his hands off on a rag. "No going out tomorrow. I'm sure Rick and Shane will be happy to go look for the girl."

Both Ace and Daryl rolled their eyes, knowing that was a joke. But neither of them got time to say anything before Hershel left the room, shutting the door behind him.

The silence that followed was strangling the two.

"Gonna eat," Ace mumbled, not daring to look at Daryl as she got up, immediately shuffling out the door.

As she left the room, she could see most of the group in the kitchen. It looked like they were starting to clean up and she hoped they had some food left over. For once her meds didn't make her feel sick, which just left her stomach feeling completely empty as ever. She could use some food, especially at the rare times her body can actually hold it down.

When she walked into the kitchen, Lori was the first one to notice Ace as she walked in, but she didn't stop from wiping off the dishes in the sink.

"Carol saved a plate of food, it's on the table," Lori said. Ace glanced over to see the plate, which was obviously only made for Daryl. She guesses Carol wanted her to starve now? Huh. Wonder who will look for Sophia when Ace is dead via starvation? Since she's the only one doing it.

Ignoring it, Ace went over and grabbed the plate, making sure she got another fork with it. "Thank you," she said to Lori, who now looked over at her.