Chapter 50

AN: Updated 12/28/20

The next morning, Daryl jolted awake at the sound of someone in the kitchen outside the room.

It took him a minute to remember where he was, looking around and taking in his surroundings. He tensed up when he saw Ace.

They both had fallen asleep, sitting on the floor against the bed.

As Ace slept, her body had shifted, falling into a laying position. Now, her head rested on Daryl's leg, using him as a pillow.

Daryl was frozen, looking down at her. His hands were slightly up in the air, not sure what to do with them. And Daryl stayed frozen for a moment, contemplating what to do.

When he heard voices from outside the room, Daryl started to slide out from Ace. Like hell he'd have someone walk in on him cuddled up with the girl. Daryl gulped.

He ever so carefully held Ace's head up and slid his body out from under her. He wasn't just gonna let her sleep on the floor, the old man would have a heart attack if he saw that.

Daryl glanced back at the door, making sure no one was coming in. He huffed and knelt down, scooping Ace into his arms. He let out a quiet grunt, but the girl barely weighed anything.

Daryl stood with Ace in his arms, stepping towards the bed. He carefully set her on it, trying to be as gentle as he could to not hurt her in some way. Also, he did not want to have her waking up while he was holding her. That was a situation Daryl would avoid at all costs.

Ace only stirred slightly when she hit the bed, not waking from her exhaustion.

Daryl looked down at her.

She looked peaceful as she slept. It was the only time she didn't look like she had a thousand different things on her mind. The only time she didn't look like she was trying to read everyone, figuring some shit out in her head. More than this, it was the only time she didn't seem sick. The only time it didn't seem like she was dying.

Daryl's head snapped over as he heard the door start to open. He immediately straightened his posture, his face souring.

As Hershel walked in on him looking at Ace, Daryl grabbed his crossbow off the ground and stormed passed him. "Gotta piss," Daryl grumbled, not looking up as he pushed out of the room.

When Daryl exited the bathroom and came downstairs, the group was waiting for him. Annoyance filled the creases in his face.

"How is she?" Maggie asked.

Daryl just sent a shrug and tried to move past them. He didn't want to talk. This was why he didn't want any of them knowing shit about him and Ace. He wanted to bolt out of here as fast as possible

"Daryl," Rick called after him, trying to get him to come back. Next to Rick, Carl started asking if they could go in and see Ace. Daryl tried to ignore all of them.

"Did you talk to her?" Lori asked from behind Rick.

Daryl was now tensed with irritation, the group not gettin' off his ass.

"We can't just let what happened with Carol-"

"Leave her be," Daryl snapped, cutting off all of them. Daryl looked across all their faces. "All of ya."

"Daryl, we'd like to know what is going on," Rick pressed, keeping his voice calm and orderly like always.

"She's asleep," Daryl grumbled with anger. "Anyone tries to go in there, I'll string ya up myself."

With that Daryl turned and headed back into the room angrily.

When he got inside, Ace wasn't asleep anymore. She was sitting up on the bed, Hershel at her side getting the next IV started.