Chapter 10 Alone Together; Theo in Attica

Chapter 10

Alone Together; Theo in Attica

"There's the start line, so let's start painting hope for just the two us."

~Stereo Dive Foundation~

As they walked down the earthen paths of the village, Serena noted how some of the residents gave Theo uninviting looks. Others simply watched him from afar, but their stares were more mysterious then the rest.

Because of this, Serena tried to see if Theo was being affected by them like before. Truth was, she worried about him, but when all she saw was his hard cold stare eying the trail ahead, she giggled.

'Maybe it's his unfriendly exterior that puts them off,' she toyed with those thoughts until they reached the farther part of town. The homes were huddled closer to each other in this region, and the people seemed to be warmer—despite Theo's appearance.

Coming to a full stop, Theo stood before a group of older looking women. They stood about, chitchatting with each other as their children played amongst themselves. Some of the kids were younger then Serena but not enough to be denoted as a child.

"Theo?" Serena worded in a low voice, trying to remain strong for him if he needed the support.

To her words, Theo said nothing—for he eyed the group of women who addressed him when one of them approached. She possessed long violet hair that was tied in a bun, and her eyes, upon seeing Theo's large form, went soft and warm.

There was a twitch on her worn skin where her lips were as she dared to give him a smile. "Are you—are you Theodore?" she asked hesitantly, as all of the people present, young and old, stopped their actions to watch the woman.

When the name that was given unto him upon birth was voiced after so long, Theo gave her a sheepish look—one a boy would muster when feeling grateful towards his parent but ashamed all the same.

"Aye, ma'am," he said softly.

It was then that her smile grew so wide that it almost looked like she would cry. By this time, the other women were also happily smiling, speaking praises and words of gratitude towards Theo.

"I never got to say thank you for what you did for my baby boy," she said, her old hands finding his as she held them and then touched his face.

"Thank you, from the bottom of my heart. You answered my prayers when none of the gods would." The touching statement made Serena's heart warm, and she could not help but smile joyously.

She eyed the other women, and saw how Theo shut his own eyes and moved slightly away from the elderly female. "I appreciate your words ma'am, but I am no hero. I failed this town," and when that was said, he moved past them all and continued forwards towards the home of the village elder.