The Scandal In Belgravia Part 6

Sherlock finds himself at the crime scene, or better said, his mind palace. He is in the car and Irene is at the window.

"Got it!" She told him as he started to get up, but she held up a finger.

"Oh, shush now. Don't get up. I'll do the talking." She walks to the back of the car and kneels to the exhaust pipe.

"So the car's about to backfire..." She stands up again and suddenly she and Sherlock are standing near the hiker in the field while he stands frozen and staring upwards at a forty-five degree angle. "... and the hiker, he's staring at the sky. Vera said he was watching the birds, but he wasn't wasn't he. He was watching another flying thing." Just then, Vera appeared.

"I knew it wasn't birds I was just trying to fill in a hole to clear up my mind." She walked up to Sherlock and held his hand. Irene ignored them.

"The car backfires and the hiker turns to look..." The hiker looks towards the car and at the same moment an object flies in so rapidly that we can't see what it is. It strikes him on the back of the head, bounces off and skims quickly away. The man falls backwards. "... which was his big mistake. By the time the driver looks up, the hiker's already dead. What he doesn't see is what killed him because it's already being washed downstream. An accomplished sportsman recently returned from foreign travel with... a boomerang. You two got that from one look? Definitely the new sexy."

She turns to smile at Sherlock, his hand turns cold as Vera disappears. He looks round in confusion.

"I..." Behind him, a bed rises up to meet him. The angle changes and he sinks down onto the bed and a sheet rises up to wrap around him. His eyes close.

"Hush now." She leans down over him. Sherlock's fuzzy view of her shows that she's no longer in the field but inside a room. His room.

"It's okay. I'll only return your coat." Sherlock jerks back into consciousness and finds himself alone and in bed in his own bedroom, fully clothed and covered with a sheet. He lifts his head.

"Vera?" He says, shaking his head to clear it.

"Vera!" He says louder. In the living room, Vera turns her head from her knife, she gets up and heads to Sherlock's room. She opens the door and sees him on the ground.

"Sherlock, are you alright?"

"How did I get here?"

"John and I carried you. Well, I don't suppose you remember much. You weren't making a lot of sense. Oh, I should warn you: I think Lestrade filmed you on his phone." Sherlock started to get up on his feet.

"Where is she?"

"Where's who?" Vera frowned.

"The woman." He said bluntly.

"What woman?" Vera held her breath.

"The soman. The woman woman." He stumbled around the room aimlessly. Vera breathed out, relaxed.

"Oh, Irene Adler? She got away. No-one saw her." Vera said, leaning against the doorway. Sherlock started looking around his room.

"She's not here, Sherlock. You probably just saw her in your mind palace." Sherlock flopped on the floor and looked under the bed. Vera walked toward him and helped him on the bed.

"What are you...? What...? No, no, no, no. Back to bed." He lands face first onto his warm bed.

"Sleep with me." Sherlock mumbled, clearly delusional.

"Sherlock, it would be best if I stayed in my own room. Let you clear your head."

"But you're wonderful. Beautiful, ah brilliant even." Sherlock said drunkly.