Chapter 14

I looked at the food uninterestedly,

                “Eat Lucy” Jay growled at me. I fiddled with the food some more before begrudgingly putting some in my mouth. Once I had eaten enough of the food, Jay let me see Alex. His face was bloody, and he had a black eye. I went to hug him but Jay held my arm back. “You might not want to touch him if you want to see him again. My wolf does not like the likes of him touching you.” He whispered in my ear.

                “Alex, why? Why did you give him a reason to hurt you?” I asked him between sobs.

                “I wanted to save you” he whispered, earning a growl for Jay.

                “I think it’s time we leave now” Jay said into my ear. I looked at him pleadingly,

                “I don’t want to Jay, I want to stay with m-“before I could finish the sentence, Jay had tugged me out of the room and half way down the hall.

                “Your teachers gave you work to do while you were ‘sick’” he said he pulled me back into the kitchen and sat down beside me. “You should start, I’ll help you. Your teachers said you would have trouble with it because you’ve had no prior education” he finished while putting sheets in front of me and placed a pencil on them. I picked up the pencil, twirling it in my fingers and trying to get it to feel write. Until Jay decided to reposition it in my hand for me. “That’s how you hold it” he told me, I began to trace the letters over the page, occasionally stopping to try and form the letter slower. After I had finished the sheets I got up and walked to the kitchen where Jay’s mother was sitting. She had been watching us.

                “It’s hard, I remember. His father was so much like him; he locked me in a room for 3 months. Can’t say I liked him much for years after that, but he got better. Jay will, you just need to know how to control him.” A slight smile had crept onto her face as she relived the memory. “Control him too much, and they fight you, they try and control you. Just little nudges in the right direction is all you need.” I got a glass from the cupboard and filled it with water. “Don’t worry about your brother; I will protect him as much as I can.” She told me gently.

                “He’s not my full brother, only my half-brother. My mum had a boyfriend before she met my dad and was pregnant. But my dad was caring and took him in and treated him like he treated us. I still love him; he’s the only family I have left now.” I said as a single tear streaked down my list.

                “Mum, why is my mate crying?” Jay’s hard voice came from right behind me. I spun around so fast that the contents of my drink spilled all over Jay.

                “Ooops” I said quietly. But Jay ignored the spilt drink and pulled me into his arms.

                “We were discussing men of the family, and she told about her brother” she told him smoothly. “Now go take care of your mate, and change your clothes. You smell like wet dog already.” He growled at his mother’s joke, but I couldn’t help but giggle. Jay looked down at me, and his face softened, it was then that I realized I hadn’t tried to break out of his grip, and I didn’t want to. His grip had softened on me, so I quickly pulled away and ran, for the only person I trusted. My brother. The guards stopped me before I could enter, and then Jay was behind me.

                “Lucy? What’s wrong, you were fine and then you just ran” he sounded defeated.

                “I want to talk to my brother” I said simply,

                “You can’t right now, he needs to rest and recover” he told me gently before leading me away. I looked at the door in misery; I wanted to talk to him, ask him why I felt this way.

                “Could I talk to Olivia then?” Jay looked thoughtful for a moment and then nodded. We walked up to Olivia’s room together. When he let go of my hand, I almost missed the warmth and protected feeling it gave me. Almost. Olivia was sitting silently on the bed.

                “Hi Olivia, I need your advice” I whispered to her. Her head snapped to me when she heard my voice.

                “What is it Lucy?” she asked politely, but I could clearly see she missed her mate.

                “I feel weird about… Jay. It’s confusing me, I hate him for what he did to me yet I no longer want to run from him” I said, her face suddenly frowning in realization.

                “It was going to happen eventually, you’ve done well. Most would have fallen at his feet within a minute of meeting him. But being a wolf, means you had to start to like him soon. I’m sorry Lucy, but that feeling will never leave you”

                “Oh, I don’t want to like him though! He killed my family!” she looked so sorry for me. But Jay had clearly heard that much of the convocation because he came barging in. He looked embarrassed but angry.

                “Lucy, come on.” He said while dragging me out of the room. I looked back at Olivia to see her shooting my sympathetic looks. He sat down on the couch and pulled me down beside him.

                “I’m really sorry” He told me, he didn’t have to say about what. I gently leaned into his side enjoying the piece. “Can I make it up to you?” he asked gently. I slowly looked up at him through teary eyes.

                “Don’t kill my brother” I said simply and quietly.