Chapter One - Dogs & Zombies

Dogs. I have a phobia of dogs. No, I'm not lying, I really do have Dogphobia. And yes, I know that's not a real word - but it should be.

Why am I talking about dogs you ask? Well, let me tell you how a dog changed my life. Yes, you read it correctly, a dog really did change my life.

Let me start from the very beginning..

I was seventeen years old and moving from my hometown to a new city called Sunnyville to start a new life. I've never been there before but I was now going to be living there permanently.

We were walking near a beach trying to find my brother's house. He had been living in Sunnyville for about eight months and had a stable job. Since he had enough money to make a proper living, he finally allowed me and my younger brother Elliot to come and live with him. He knew how badly I wanted to get away from our old 'home'.

"Alice, just admit it. We're lost!" Elliot complained.

"NO! I know exactly where we're going. Don't you have any trust in me at all?!" I replied.

"Adam was right! He said you'd get us lost and now you did. Why didn't you let him pick us up?" Elliot continued.

"ELLIOT SUMMERS! WE ARE NOT LOST," I repeated. Okay, maybe we are a little lost. But there is no way that I'm going to admit that. I hate being the clueless duck all the time. It's bad enough my name is Alice, but I'd lived up to Adam's 'Alice in wonderland' nickname because I always wondered off into my head and ended up doing something stupid... Like getting lost because I turned a left corner when I was supposed to turn right.

"I'm hungry!" Elliot complained.

"You're going to have to wait until we get to Adam's house then."

"But I'm hungry NOW."

"I don't have any money to buy us food because SOMEONE decided it would be fun to throw all my change in the river, so you're going to have to hang in there a while longer," I replied still annoyed at my five year old brother for having the audacity to pull off such a stunt.

"I'm bored!" Elliot seemed to have a bad habit of complaining every time he had the chance to. I decided to ignore him.

"Alice! Can we go and sit at the beach?!"

I rolled my eyes. We didn't even know where we were and he wanted to sit at the beach as if we'd magically end up in Adam's house.

"Can we, Alice? PLEASE?" He continued.

"No, Elliot. When we get to Adam's house and drop off all of our luggage, I'll consider whether to let you go or not."

We carried on walking for another two minutes in silence. But then an annoying little voice started moaning.

"I'm tired!"

"Oh dear Lord," I sighed. I knew what he was doing. He was indeed one very sly little boy. "Fine, let's go sit at the beach and rest. And I'll try to work out where we are."

A big smirk appeared on his face.

"So you admit that you got us lost?"

This boy was too smart for his age. I ignored him and made my way to the beach with him trailing behind me.

"Alice."

I could hear him stomping on the pavement behind me.

"Alice."

Nope. Still ignoring him.

"ALICE!"

"What?!" I turned around feeling frustrated. He was giving me a headache. All I wanted was a moment of peace and quiet. But no, he wouldn't let that happen.