Unfamiliar, yet all the same.

READER'S DREAM POV:

...

You were walking.

For how long have you been walking though? You could not remember.

You walked at a slow pace, with bodies blurring past your peripheral vision. You kept going, for what felt like hours, never recognising a single face.

You never bothered to look around, you kept your head tilted down so that no one could make eye contact with you, not like they would try to anyways. And although you never bothered, you knew exactly what surrounded you.

A city.

A rather lifeless dreary one at that. Claustrophobic, for something so seemingly endless and big.

Tall buildings stretched up forever, tops shrouded by a fog- no, pollution, so thick you could drown in it. The air tasted vile, like the gasoline that stung the back of your throat whenever you breathed in threw your nose. You couldn't make out anything, not a word you could understand, just sounds. They were so loud.

 Why?... Why did they have to be so loud?... 

The engines of thousands of vehicles boomed; while everyone around talked loudly, voices echoing off of every surface, melding together. You could hear laughter trailing off... Everything just seemed so overwhelming, so...

Busy.

What surrounded you, in your mind, could cause ANYONE to go insane. 

You could never touch them either.

They sped by.

You reached out for a figure's arm, and felt nothing.

You tried your best to make out a face from the crowd, after all, faces seen in dreams where just faces you've seen before right? You tried harder and harder, but everything was static and blurs.

through all of this you had kept the same pace as in which you started. you began to shake, and your breathing hitched. 'does no one know that I'm here?'

"...Hello..?" you asked, meek and frail. Your voice had been too low, and no one heard you.

-

-

"...Hello?" You asked again, knowing that you had been a bit louder. But to no avail. Perhaps you were still too quiet?

No one heard your call, no one saw your distress, no one even noticed your existence... Yet for some reason no one ever passed threw you, not even once.

-

-

-

"Hello?" You asked yet again. But, why do you keep trying?

People went by your form quickly, muddled,  and busy. This confused you and your brain, this has never happened before. You couldn't think, and all you could feel was... 

Distress?

-

-

"HELLO??" No one heard your call.

"HELLO, MA'M?" No one answered.

"HELLO??!" Your question now filled with fear and anger; it echoed off of the buildings tall outer walls, shiny and smooth.

But not for long. It had only gotten the chance to echo maybe twice, then overwhelmed and eaten up by the other noises and static that filled the bitter air.