Chapter 5

I dream about her tonight. But it's not my usual dreams, the ones of the memories we had; or were going to have.

Instead. I pictured myself doing everything I can. Every fear I've never faced. Every dauntless thing I could ever imagine. Because either I stay with my friends, or go with Tris. I don't know if I smile at the thought or not, but I know I wake up with one. I don't know why, but I do think she's happy up there. She does have her parents, Uriah, Marlene, Lynn, doesn't she?

But she doesn't have me.

And, I don't have her.

But you know, we mend over the years.

Yesterday, Tris turned 18.

I'm around the age of 20. I really don't celebrate my birthday. 'Its an act of selfishness', as my father would say.

I still remember the first time I met her. When Her warm, small hand grabbed mine as I took her off the net.

She looked up at me, but didn't smile.

I remember her tattoos.

I remember her laugh.

I remember her cry.

I remember her saying 'Tobias' instead of 'four'.

And then, then I remember her saying "i love you" for her last breath I heard.

To be honest, I don't want to cry. I want to be happy for her.

But I sit on the couch.

How couldn't I cry over someone who was my world. When I didn't know my mom was alive, and how I was terrified of my dad, she was the one with me. The one who protected me from Marcus.

She was my family.

I was her family.

After grieving my own pain for a while, I check my watch and it's 11:30. Most people are awake by now. I rub my eyes. I know Tris would've not want to seen me cry. Or maybe she did she it.

I know she probably saw it. She's sneaky, after-all.

I laugh at the thought, and go into my bedroom to get dressed.

And..a girl is there. One I haven't seen in years.

Tris.