Chapter 3

Arwen felt exultant and annoyed, at the same time.

Exultant, because she was loving her days at the college. After the sleepy Monday, she was fully charged on the rest of the three days. Zeisha had come and stayed over at Arwen’s place on Tuesday. Arwen was still reviving the giggles and serious talks with her best friend. Wednesday wasn’t as exciting as Tuesday, but was pleasantly tolerable. The annoying part marked its presence today, the Thursday, when Ryan asked her out, yet again. He had guts, if nothing else. Arwen had been surprisingly pleasant to him in the beginning. She just lost her composure and ended up yelling by the end of their conversation. Ryan remained calm as usual. Arwen contemplated while washing the dishes and decided that he needed a shrink.

She was also annoyed because the weekend was approaching fast.

“Dear I will do the dishes, leave them. You can chop the vegetables. I don’t want our dinner to be late.” Mrs. Andearson said. She seemed to be in a chirpy mood.

Arwen followed her instructions in compatible silence. It was already after nine PM and she felt hungry, so was dicing carrot at a great speed.

Mrs. Andearson never kept servants. She could afford one, in fact two, very easily. But she loved working on her own. And so did Arwen. As they talked less, they spent most of their time working when at house. It kept both of them enough engaged to not notice the loss of conversation.

“I am planning to take a break from my work. It’s getting too hectic these days.” Mrs. Andearson was still able to think of some conversational lines.

“May be you should reduce the pile of work you do.” Arwen said. She hoped that her mother would not notice the disagreement in her words. She couldn’t imagine herself being deprived of the few hours she gets alone at home till her mother returns from the office.

“Work always gets piled up. Never gets reduced.” Mrs. Andearson sighed. She wiped her hands on the towel after she was done with the dishes. Arwen’s mother worked as an editor in the leading newspaper of the city. She earned big bucks but never showed it off. She never got time to show off with her hectic schedule.

After a moment of silence Mrs. Andearson realized she wasn’t going to get a reply. She sighed again. They prepared schwezan together in silence.

“I will set the dinner table, you can take a break.” Mrs. Andearson smiled kindly at Arwen.

Arwen grinned. “Mom I can help you with that. I don’t have anything else to do.”

Mrs. Andearson didn’t say anything. But she seemed to be in deep thought while setting the food on the table. Arwen waited for her to ask whatever she was thinking.

“Hmmm its aroma is so mouth watering.” Arwen mused.

“I bet it’s delicious too.” Mrs. Andearson winked at her daughter and served the food. They ate in silence.

“Sweetheart…what are you up to this weekend?” Mrs. Andearson asked. 

“The usual. I will stay home. Why?”

“Don’t you have any plans with your friends?”

Arwen reckoned that something was up. Her mother never asked about her friends, least regarding weekends.

“Mom, I generally never have plans with any of them.” Arwen said.

“And no date?” Mrs. Andearson asked.

“Mom...I am not dating anyone. Do you need me on the weekend? I will be available.”

“No! I don’t want you for anything.” Mrs. Andearson sounded panicky. She took a deep breath and added calmly, “Dear,” she put her fork down on the table, “sometimes I feel I leave you alone too much. I would appreciate if you hung out like everybody else. Go and see some good movie. Enjoy with your friends. It’s time for you to make the most of life, not sulk at home.”