Chapter 17

‘Bad’ never existed. Only ‘good’ did. Now, that could be either good for one person or good for some other person. And the ‘good’ for both the persons might not be the same. This implies that ‘good’ doesn’t have a constant definition. A thing which is ‘good’ for a person might turn this world into a living hell for some other person. But does that mean that ‘bad’ really doesn’t exist? Was there something on this earth which was considered ‘bad’ by all the living beings of this planet? Even by the one who commits the ‘bad’? The one who commits, if that being agreed that his actions were ‘bad’, would that be counted as a token of ‘good’ in the form of honesty? Or it would be taken as an act of lunacy? Even with these questions answered one could not define ‘bad’, just like ‘good’. But it could be characterized by one of its forms- Evil.

Wanting the ‘bad’ to take place with full understanding; but, without profit. It had suited Rebecca this far, from Arwen’s point of view. Now she wanted a word for wanting the ‘bad’ to take place with full understanding and with profit. Kevin walked towards her, with a smile on his face.

“Well well, do I have to say how much surprised I am!”

Arwen’s heart skipped a beat on hearing her father speak so casually and with delight. She blinked and the motion was noticeable to her. She hadn’t moved an inch of her body since Kevin’s Chevy entered the lawn. Now with Kevin moving towards her, she could feel her body going even rigid.

“What brought you here?” he took off his sunglasses and hanged it onto his breast pocket, while walking.

Arwen could feel something wet on her forehead. He doesn’t know anything, Arwen recited in her head. And then she wondered what knowledge she didn’t want Kevin to have.

“I thought you were busy.” Arwen’s voice was hardly audible. Her voice sounded as if she was choking on her words. Kevin came and stopped in front of her. Little bit of what Arwen said calmed her somehow. She smoothed her expressions and let her body stay limp. It showed exactly what she was at the present- defenseless. Kevin observed her carefully. She could tell he was thinking hard. Very hard.

“That’s the exact reason why I am surprised to see you here.” Kevin said. He was still smiling.

“That is what I had planned. To surprise you.” As much Arwen was trying to make the conversation casual, the sweat and the non liveliness on her face were failing her.

“Oh yes, sweetheart? Why do I feel that it’s me who has surprised you?”

“You have done that too, haven’t you? I had believed you were busy.” Arwen said. She noticed that there was something wrong in the way he spoke now.

“Isn’t that the exact reason why we both are surprised? You didn’t expect to see me here because you thought I was busy. And I didn’t expect to see you here because I knew that you know that I am busy.”

Arwen could see him leading the conversation to a senseless point. She kept her face straight.

“Anyways, that’s done with now. The surprise part I mean.” Kevin said with a smile and stepped forward so he was standing beside her, facing the house’s door.

Arwen clutched her bag firmly- the only response to Kevin’s sudden movement. She wasn’t sure if the surprise part was done with yet. She tilted her head to look at him at her side. And he was looking back at her. He smiled again and Arwen was not able to tolerate the sight anymore.

“Let’s go inside.” Kevin said, jerking his head towards the house.

“No, thanks…I’ll come by later.” Said Arwen, surprised by the invitation. “I had planned to do some shopping nearby…” she could see her lame excuse having no affect on Kevin. He stood smiling at her.