Chapter 6

“Sorry for bothering you on this bright Sunday morning. I know people like to enjoy their leisure time, but I had some important things to discuss with you and I was sure you would be available.”

Ross Verona, senior officer, intelligence bureau; was a man with a high self esteem. He took pride in his work. He always dealt with his cases as if they were part of his own life. Known for his impeccable reputation, Verona was a tough man on the surface, but molten inside. At thirty three years of age, he was the youngest person to attain the post he now acquired. Because of that he was the object of envy for his many colleagues.

“Hmm…can I help you?” Arwen said. When Laura had said that somebody was here to see Arwen, the very first thought Arwen had had was the inevitable sympathy from this or that lady. She wasn’t expecting to find a man in his early thirties, dressed up in a three piece suit, staring at the painting on the wall in the living room.

“I think I didn’t introduce myself. I tend to get ahead of myself at times.” He smiled slowly showing his teeth. Verona loved to flatter other people as well as his own self. ”My name is Ross Verona. I am the senior officer, intelligence bureau. I was given the file of your mother’s case three days back.”

Arwen was perplexed. “I didn’t….get you.” She said.

“Let’s put it this way. I am here to discuss some facts regarding your mother’s incident and to know whether you would like any further investigation.” Verona said. He was best at putting things straight for the other person. No emotion, no foul.

“Oh.” Arwen said. That was the best Arwen could come up with.

“I know you must be having a tough time, but believe me it would be the best if you know everything and so do I.” He smiled kindly.

Too sure of himself, thought Arwen. “Alright…please sit down. What have you got?” Arwen asked him. She sat opposite to him. She wasn’t in the mood to entertain anyone or talk about her mother, but his posture and the way of conduct told her that it might be important.

“I just needed to ask a few questions before I start, if you do not mind?” He took out a notepad and his pen.

“Go ahead, Mr. Verona.” Arwen said.

“Oh please call me Ross.” Verona smiled at her again.

Shall I give you a nickname as well? Arwen wanted to ask him but kept shut.

“So!” Verona started.  “In your statement you had said that you weren’t at home the day that incident took place?”

Arwen nodded…this wasn’t good. She didn’t want to replay the whole day.

“Can you tell me with surety if your mother was alone the whole day?”

Arwen was taken aback by the unforeseen question. She tried to remember the day. She felt a lump in her throat.

“Yes.” She said with a little difficulty. “Saturdays are…were off for her. She stayed home always.” Arwen managed to speak. Her voice felt better by the time she finished.

“And she was alone at home?” Verona asked, his eyes intense.

Arwen looked away from his eyes. He had grey colored, intelligent eyes. Arwen felt as if he could see through her easily. Not that she had anything to hide, but so far it was only Ryan who had been enough capable. And Arwen didn’t want to be readable enough for anybody else.

“Yes…” Arwen said uncertainly. She cleared her throat and looked back at Verona. “As far as I know.” She said flatly.

Verona raised his eyebrows. Arwen sighed. She didn’t want to get into details of her not-talking-much relationship between her and her mother.