Chapter 12

“There is something going on which I do not know, right?”

“Not really.” Arwen widened her eyes at Zeisha. “Why do you feel so?”

“Just three days ago you didn’t want to see Ryan’s face and now I see blushes when he is there.” Zeisha accused Arwen.

Arwen was shocked. She had not known that her behavior was apparent. She wasn’t exactly sure what her behavior was actually. She opened her mouth to form a small ‘O’, not able to reply to Zeisha’s comment. She closed her mouth and took a deep breath. Zeisha enjoyed Arwen’s uneasiness.

“Oh c’mon, spit it out.” Zeisha urged.

“It’s not exactly what you think…” Arwen said, while quickly thinking through all of it. “We had had an incomplete conversation…I haven’t got time to talk to him since morning, and I am a little anxious.”

“And the conversation is about…?” Zeisha smirked. She could very well notice the difference in her best friend. Almost, for the first time, Zeisha had seen Arwen affected by a guy. Zeisha was not surprised because Arwen was affected. She was surprised that it took so long for Arwen to get affected. Ryan was one of those people whom Zeisha admired. Sometimes, Zeisha felt that Arwen failed to appreciate what she had. Ryan’s indomitable love for her was something which was very rare to see in their generation. But if Ryan was an endangered species then even Arwen was one of a kind. That was one quality of Arwen that Zeisha revered. Arwen never went head fast into things. If it belonged to you then it would find a way back to you, this was Arwen’s motto, Zeisha believed. Zeisha had seen Arwen grab the benefits even when she had lost. She wouldn’t mind undergoing the pain than finding the easy way out and blend with the crowd.

“Well…things are getting a bit different.” Arwen said with an uneasy smile. She told Zeisha about seeing Ryan with the girl and how much jealous she had been. She also told Zeisha about her hooking up with a man and trying to make Ryan feel jealous. Tit for tat. Zeisha couldn’t believe her ears in both the cases. They wouldn’t have sounded so bizarre had anybody else been there in place of Ryan and Arwen. Arwen didn’t tell her that it was Verona she had hooked up with. Zeisha didn’t know who Verona was, Arwen never told Zeisha of the possible hypothesis regarding Mrs. Andearson’s incident. Arwen tried, as much as she could, to keep her darkened life away from Zeisha. Zeisha would just end up worrying more; Arwen wished she cared only about herself. She found Zeisha very fragile to handle such big words. Shawn’s ignorance had caused so much pain to Zeisha. Arwen had been sure after that that gallantness wasn’t Zeisha’s trait. She loved her friend too much to cause any kind of mental instability which Arwen experienced now and then. Zeisha always knew that Arwen didn’t tell her everything, or even if she did, she always edited. Zeisha forced Arwen till the point it was enough satisfying for her, after that she provided Arwen with the space she sought for. She knew her friend that well to know that Arwen required some part of her life with in herself. Zeisha was pleasantly surprised to hear the conversation Arwen had had with Ryan on the phone.

“I guess only the formal announcement is required between you two. I can’t believe that a stranger girl introduced you to your feelings.” Zeisha laughed.

Arwen mused over Zeisha’s words. How strange, it was exactly that girl, the unfamiliar person, who was responsible for the commotion in Arwen’s mind. Arwen was always, almost, sure of what she had always wanted. Nobody ever had to tell her or make her realize what she was looking for. Both the girls made their way to the cafeteria in silence. Arwen was again lost in her world. Zeisha didn’t disturb her.

“So you’ll be taking a drive with him or something at the end of the day?” Zeisha asked Arwen as they walked away to their classes after the lunch break.