Chapter 2

A deep growl rumbled in the back of Flamestar's throat. The patrol had returned empty-pawed. Shadepaw was gone, he had escaped. Flamestar wouldn't let him get away; he could spell the very end of the clans if he was allowed to live.

"He's too young to be able to follow in his mother's pawsteps." Bluesnow murmured from where she sat beside her sister on the meeting rock. "And he's alone."

"He could get allies. He could build an army and crush us." Flamestar curled her claws over the rock's edge, gritting her teeth in anger. "We cannot allow him to live!"

"He's an apprentice, barely a quarter moon into his training. I doubt he'll be able to start anything against us." Her sister reassured, resting her tail over her back. "He's actually quite nice.." She added in a low murmur, barely audible over the ongoing chatter in the meeting clearing.

"Nice? He is the spawn of the very cat who nearly destroyed us! His mother killed so many of us!" An image of her kits' bodies played back in her mind and she flattened her ears as a wave of all-too-familiar grief swept though her, her chest tightening in response.

"It doesn't matter what his mother did, he is a good cat!" Bluesnow rose to her paws to meet Flamestar's raging amber eyes, her calm blue ones searching her sister's face for any hint of understanding.

Flamestar looked away from Bluesnow. "What's gotten into you?" She growled. "You usually support me with everything I do."

"Only when I think you're doing the right thing." The blue she cat murmured. "This time, I know you're wrong."

"How do you know? I bet you've never even spoken to that demon spawn!" Flamestar snarled.

"You're right, I haven't. But when I saw him those times he came into the prison, all I could see in him was compassion and kindness." Bluesnow meowed, "His golden eyes held a warmth in them that surpassed any I had ever seen. I bet that if you hadn't defeated NoName he would've, given time."

Flamestar slapped her paw onto the ground, making her sister flinch. "Nonsense!" She snarled.

"But it's the truth, Flamestar, trust me." Bluesnow pleaded.

Flamestar paused for a moment, her eyes narrowing as she remembered her leader ceremony.

"With this life, I give you trust. Listen to those around you and let their words guide you to success." Watersplash smiled as she touched her nose to Flamestar's head.

The orange she cat shook her head to clear the vision. 

No, I'm right. Bluesnow is wrong. Shadepaw must be killed before he destroys us all.

_________________________________

"Let go of me!" 

Came a yowl from the base of the meeting rock. Flamestar peered down as some Ravenclan warriors shoved the Dark Forest cats together by the rock. Dime was struggling relentlessly, but his blindness restricted him to waving wildly at the air. Flamestar smirked widely; she was glad she had clawed his eyes. Now he was permanently blind. Although it was unfortunate that he wouldn't be able to see his friends die before him.

"Cats of the Clans!" The orange she cat began. "Sitting before you right now are the cats who enslaved us, killed and tortured us. It's time to return the same kindness they gave us!"

"Tear their throats out!" Came a vicious yowl from Blizzardstorm. "Make them pay!"

"Patience." Flamestar meowed sternly. "We will start with Thunder, Blast and Wasp. Strike, Tyler and Dime will be given special deaths."

Strike shrieked. "You can't do this to us!"

"Actually I can." Flamestar smiled sweetly at the winged tom. "Now be good and shut your mouth until it's your turn."

________________________________