Chapter 9

Three days later, NoName's scent had finally faded from the den. Flamestar breathed a happy sigh as she woke up in her nest; for once she wasn't breathing in the disgusting scent of her enemy.

The orange she cat yawned and rose lazily to her paws. She stretched, feeling the satisfying pops in her back, and gave her fur a few licks. Once she was fully awake, the Lightclan leader strolled out of the den and into the warm morning sunlight.

The clan was already awake. Warriors were milling about, getting their daily chores and patrols sorted. Silvershy was sending out the morning hunting patrol, her tail flicking as she waved them farewell. When she saw Flamestar, she pricked her ears. "Good morning Flamestar."

"Morning." Flamestar greeted. "How's everyone doing?"

"The dawn patrol has strengthened all the borders of Lightclan's territory and there have been no signs of trespassers." Silvershy reported. "And I've just sent out a hunting patrol." She quickly added. "Also the cats of the other three clans are beginning to split up. It seems they're ready to go back to their own camps now."

Flamestar nodded. "I thought this day would come soon. It's just... We still have such few numbers."

"We'll grow stronger soon enough. I'm sure we'll have new kits arriving soon." Silvershy smiled.

"What makes you say that?" Flamestar wondered, looking around the camp curiously. None of the Lightclan she cats seemed to be expecting. When she looked back at her deputy, she saw the silver she cat looking at her own stomach. Flamestar's lips formed a wide 'O' shape and she murmured. "Are they Tyler's?"

Silvershy nodded. "I'm so excited! I can't wait until the kits arrive!" She gushed, her green eyes shining. "And now that we're safe from the Dark Forest, I definitely won't lose them!"

Flamestar felt a stab of jealousy in her chest the moment Silvershy said those words. She had lost all her litter when NoName attacked. And with Metalclaw dead, she'd never be able to have kits again. Why did Silvershy get happiness, but not Flamestar?

Seeing her horrible choice in words, Silvershy immediately gasped. "I'm so sorry Flamestar! I wasn't thinking!" Her eyes widened in a silent beg for forgiveness, her ears flattened as she looked up at her.

"It's okay.." Flamestar murmured, her head drooping slightly. "It's not your fault." The orange she cat forced a smile. "I'm happy for you, though. Your kits are the future of our clan."

"And when I'm off doing my deputy duties, you could help care for them. I'll let you nurse them as if they were your own." Silvershy meowed, pausing for a moment. "I mean, you don't have to do that but... It's a good idea, right?"

Flamestar chuckled, a real smile now on her lips. "Yes, I'd love to help raise your kits."

"Great!" She grinned, her forepaws working joyfully on the ground. "I'll need the extra paws anyway, especially if Tyler decides to be useless."

Flamestar smiled brightly at her friend. She would happily settle to care for the kits, even if they weren't her own.

__________________________________

Just as Flamestar settled down into her nest, she heard a terrifying screech echo throughout camp. She jolted out of her nest and leapt out of the den, fearing an attack on the camp had happened, but when she ran into the main clearing it was deathly silent.

With narrowed eyes, Flamestar stalked straight to the prison den. She suspected it had something to do with Dime, Strike and Tyler. Her suspicions were confirmed the second she walked into the den.

Before her lay a horrific scene. Tornwing lay limp on the ground, blood pouring from a deep wound on her neck. Above her stood Strike, his red eyes wide as he stared at his kill. Dime huddled behind Strike, a fresh, bleeding scratch on his muzzle. Tyler had backed himself into the far wall of the den, a look of terror on his face as he saw Flamestar.

The Lightclan leader let out a low snarl. "I knew it. You're still heartless murderers and you both deserve to die!" She then threw herself at Strike and Dime with a screech.

___________________________________