Chapter One

My parents and I loved taking walks in the woods. We loved the fresh air and all the sights there were to see. I even started begging my parents to go on walks after they'd taken me on their first few. That was when I was seven.

Now I was sixteen and turning seventeen in a few months. Even now, I still loved going on walks through the trails in the woods behind my house. Maple Valley was a peaceful place near the northern Appalachian mountain. I loved living here and I always planned on living here when I got older as well.

Until that dreadful night came and my life was shattered into pieces. My life changed forever and there was nothing I could do about it. I wished now that I'd never have asked my parents to go for a walk. There was nothing I could do to change that now.

Before that night happened I was a normal girl with a normal life that consisted of just going to school and spending time with my family. I'd just gotten ready and pulled my black boots on to help keep me warm in the autumn breeze.

"Arya! Hurry up, before you're late!" My mom called.

"Coming!" I shouted back down the hallway.

I straightened up my white scarf one last time before brushing out my long, waist-length jet black hair. I grabbed my backpack and slung it over my shoulder before walking down the hallway. I walked into the kitchen smelling the sweet smell of bacon and eggs.

"Hurry and eat before you're late for school, again," my mom said in a stern voice, but I caught the glisten of humor in her eyes.

I smiled at her, "yes, mom," I said and she smiled back.

I took in her black hair that I'd inherited from her. It was pulled up in a work bun, leading to my next question.

"You have another job interview today?" I asked and she nodded, her blue eyes holding excitement.

I'd wished I'd gotten her magnificent blue eyes, but instead I'd gotten my dad's amber- gold ones. I smiled at my mom before quickly shoveling down a few pieces of bacon before I grabbed the car keys. I'd just gotten my license a few months ago so driving was still new to me.

"Be careful for ice on the road," my mom called as I headed out the door.

"I will!" I called back, "Love you guys!"

"We love you too!' My mom and dad shouted at the same time and I smiled before shutting the front door and walking to my car.

I drove the short drive to school and parked in my usual spot. I caught up with a couple of my friends before the bell to get to class rang. I shoved through countless bodies in the packed hallway to get to my class on time.

I walked in on the bell and was relieved. I sat beside my best friend, Kate.

"Hey Ari!" Kate called, using the nickname I was given since fifth grade.

"Hay, Kate," I answered with a smile on my face.

"So there's this party tonight and everybody is going to be there, you have to come!" Kate exclaimed and I shrugged.

"I don't know, parties aren't really my scene," I replied.

"Since when do you care about your scene?" Kate asked with a laugh.

I smiled, "since now, I don't know if I can go," I said.

"Really? That's too bad, I just know Benn was going to ask you to go with him," Kate said with a smirk.