Chapter Four

Sheriff Ramsey took my bags and put them in the back seat while I got in the passenger seat. I was in the car for about an hour before Sheriff Ramsey got in. She didn't say anything at first. I looked at her expectantly as she turned to me to speak.

        "I've made some calls and the CPS will be in town in a few hours," she started and when I nodded she continued. "Is there anybody you would like to see before you go?" she asked.

        At first, I was going to shake my head, but then I remembered someone. "Kate," I replied.

        Sheriff Ramsey nodded and then started the car. We drove in silence for a few minutes as we drove downtown. Kate lived in the best part of downtown Maple Valley. It was probably the only reason she was still here because she had strict parents who did anything and everything to keep her safe. They reminded me a lot of my parents now

        We pulled up to her house and Sheriff Ramsey put the car in park. "Take as long as you need, the CPS isn't expecting to see you until they get here in the next couple hours," she said and I nodded as I got out the car.

        I knocked on the door and a few seconds later it opened. Kate's mom answered it, "Arya, honey, what are you doing here so late?" she asked, a confused look on her face.

        "Um, I'm her to see Kate," I replied, my voice quivering slightly.

        "What's wrong, honey?" she asked as she saw Sheriff Ramsey's car in her driveway. "Did you get in trouble?"

        I shook my head and walked inside as she invited me in. When she closed the door behind me I broke down into tears. "They're gone," was the only thing I managed to get out.

        "What do you mean? Your parents?" she asked as she wrapped me in a hug.

        I nodded, "You'll know everything soon enough but I need to see Kate," I stated as I tried to recompose myself.

        Kate's mom was shocked for a few moments before she nodded, "she's upstairs," she stated and I quickly traveled up to Kate's room.

        I passed her brother's room first. He glanced at me but didn't give my presence here another thought as he turned back to his game. I opened Kate's door and was greeted by her colorful rom. Kate rose from her bed and walked over to me.

        "Did you not get my messaged? I texted you about a hundred times! What..." she started but trailed off as she saw my face. "What's wrong?"

        I told her everything. I told her about what the man said and what he did to my parents. I even told her about how the man had threatened me too, even though I hadn't told the cops that. I didn't know what they'd do if they knew that and I didn't want to find out. I just wanted all this to be over.

        "Oh my... I'm so sorry. What happens now?" she asked.

        "Child Protection Services comes in and takes me into a temporary foster care and if they can't find any relatives willing to take me in then they'll put me in permanent foster care," I explained.

        "Do you‒" she started but I shook my head, knowing her question was about my relatives that I didn't have.

        Kate busted out into tears then which only caused me to cry as well. I don't know how long we sat there on her bed like that but when Sheriff Ramsey knocked on the door we started crying harder. I broke away from our hug and stood up. I wiped my eyes and headed to the door.