Chapter Six

Eden walked down the hall passing multiple rooms that were on the right while the left was opened and allowed you to look out over the first floor. Eden stopped at the third to last door. She opened the door and gestured inside.

        "This is one of our guest bedrooms, you can have it," Eden said.

        I nodded.

        In front of the last four doors, including my room door, was a wall blocking off the opened area. There was one door on that wall and I glanced at Eden.

        "Bathroom," she said, her voice lacking interest as she pointed to it.

        I nodded again and she gave me a weak smile, "if you need anything let me know," she said.

        I nodded once more and she left me at my door. Before I could walk into my room I heard the arguing already beginning. I sighed and closed my door with a little more force than what was necessary, but I doubt they even noticed. I took in the black wardrobe, the white dresser, the black nightstands, and the white four-post bed against the wall to my right. Even the comforter was black and white.

        I, personally, loved the room setup and I was glad that this room was given to me. There was a fancy, floor-length mirror on the wall with a dresser on it. My wardrobe was across from my dresser on the other wall. There was a window to the right of my bed, but it looked too old to open.

        I walked over to my bed and collapsed on it. Everything that had happened in the past twenty-four hours or so hit me at once and I burst out into tears. They were shoulder-shaking sobs that I could no longer contain. I was an orphan with no more family left, I was alone, except for the strangers with whom I now lived with and now I was sure that they didn't even want me just like I didn't want to be here with them.

***

        I was shaken awake sometime the next morning by rough hands. I looked up abruptly, my heart instantly going a hundred miles an hour, I looked up to see Bane. The fear that had gathered began to grow. I was still very scared of Bane and what he could do and of what he'd told me.

        His clear, crystal blue eyes seemed to cut straight through me and his gaze dropped from mine in almost a look of hurt or shame, but the expression was gone seconds later. It was almost as if my thoughts had hurt him or made him feel shame. I was guessing he'd only just been thinking about something I didn't know about.

        "What's wrong?" I asked.

        "Nothing's wrong, breakfast is ready," Bane said in a cold voice that sent a shiver down my spine.

        "Alright, I'm coming," I said and threw the sheets off my body. There was dirt all over the sheets and caked over my feet.

        "What happened? Where did you go?" Bane asked, his voice dropped an octave or two on the last question and fear filled my stomach and chest all over again.

        "I didn't go anywhere! I don't remember anything!" I said, I was honestly freaked out and being scared that Bane would do something wasn't helping.

        Bane's snarl that was on his face slowly disappeared, "I know you're telling the truth, don't worry, but that still doesn't explain why there's dirt all over you and the bed," Bane said and looked around the room, "stay here."

        I nodded and he walked to the door. He examined it and then bent down to look at the door handle. "What are you looking for?" I asked.