Chapter Ten

I sat on my bed thinking of everything that had happened that night. Bane had said I would not be a burden to him, but from the looks of it that was all I was to him. His violence towards me was the last straw. I only had the clothes I wore the night my parents were murdered and some that Eden had given me. I pulled the black hoodie on from that night since it was one of the only things I had from my life before their tragedy and then pulled my converses on soon after.

        I reached up and put a hand on my chest to make sure the necklace my mother gave me was still there. It was the only thing I had left of her. I searched the room for a piece of paper and pen. Luckily, I found it in a drawer in my dresser. I turned the envelop over and began writing my note:

Bane, I don't want you to come looking for me.

I will keep the secret of your existence and... your murders and act as if I've never met you.

Please, just let me go and live my own life so I won't be a burden on you anymore.

Maybe I'll see you guys again someday. Thank you for trying to help me.

Bye.

~ Arya

        I put the pen down and walked over to the window. I've done this multiple times in my sleep so how hard could it be? I gently lifted the window up and sat on the windowsill. I crept down onto the roof and silently pulled the window back down. I walked to the edge of the roof and looked down.

        I had no idea how I'd gotten down this before so I started looking for a pole I could slide down or someplace that would be easier to get down than jumping off the roof. I ended up walking around to the front of the house where I slid down one of the poles in a very awkward way. When I got to the bottom I was on top of the railing that lined the porch. I was okay with jumping from this height since it was merely five feet.

        When I got on the ground I realized my phone was in the pocket of my hoodie. I slid it out and realized that I had about fifty messages and missed calls from Kate and nearly the same from Benn. I had almost forgotten about them with everything going on. Nonetheless, I knew I had to leave the phone.

        If anything on any of the TV shows I watched was true, then Bane or even the police could track it. I left the phone on the front steps for Bane to find and more than likely dispose of. I would have to buy another one from somewhere else when I got enough money. I knew if I followed the road it would take me back to my hometown and I didn't want to go there.

       When I got to the end of the driveway I turned in the opposite direction and followed the road away from the town. In order to not be seen by passing vehicles I stuck to the woods and made sure that I kept the road in my vision. I would have to travel fast and far if I was going to be able to get away before Bane woke up and tracked me. There was another town my parents had taken me to in this direction but it was a two-hour ride.

        I would have to walk nonstop if I was going to make it there by morning. If there was a gas stop anywhere along the way I would buy some water and food with the money my parents had on them when they died. I continued walking for hours when I finally came to a gas station. I walked inside and bought some water, a bag of chips, and a candy bar for energy.

        "Good evening, how are you?" an older man asked as I walked up to the cash register.

        "I'm good," I responded and put my items on the counter and paid.

        "Where ya headed?" he asked.

        Thinking of the name of the town I responded, "Ashwood."