Ⅴ// C O N F E S S I O N S

"I'm built for it, all the abuse
I got secrets, that nobody,
nobody knows."
─Kehlani

2014
January
Central City

"WAIT, let me get this straight, you're an assassin?" Patty was surprisingly staying very calm while Elvira explained to her as much truth as she could give.

Obviously Elvira wasn't going to tell Patty everything, but she wasn't going to keep secrets that Patty was bound to find out. Patty was smart and naturally suspicious. Secrets weren't easy to keep from her.

Elvira knew the risk that she was taking by exposing even the smallest of secrets to her friend, but to Elvira, if Patty knew the real dangers out there, then she'd have a better chance of surviving because she'd be prepared for it.

All her friends disagreed with her logic.

Oliver Queen had once explained to Elvira the vital importance of keeping their secrets safe from the people closest to them. His logic was that keeping the people he cares about in the dark was a way of keeping them in the light. He wanted his family and friends to live a normal life.

But Elvira's logic was different. The people she cared about were in danger whether they knew it or not. Simple association with anyone was dangerous and El knew and understood that.

Part of her feared the dark possibilities of exposure. She had seen what darkness had done to some people.

"No, no not an assassin." Elvira answered.

Patty stared back at her blankly. "You literally call yourselves the League of Assassins."

"Well I mean the term 'assassin' has such negative connotations..." El rambled frantically, wincing at the word.

Patty raised a brow at her friend.

"Fine, yes I'm an assassin. Or an ex-assassin. I'm not really sure what my occupation is at the moment." Elvira rubbed her eyes, falling back against the sofa.

"Okay well you're a trained runaway?" Patty tried her best to grasp her mind around the information that Elvira was throwing at her.

"Well I wouldn't call myself a runaway." Elvira tried to defend, failing miserably.

"You just told me that you left with a friend even though you technically weren't allowed to leave. Ever." Patty deadpanned.

"Yes but we were given permission. Kind of." Elvira sighed. She was trying to find the line between enough information and too much information. "The friend that I was talking about had... good connections with an important person."

"And that important person just... let you both go."

"Yes," Elvira pursed her lips. They both knew that wasn't the entire story but they went along with that for the time being.

"And your friend is dead."

Elvira clenched her jaw. "Yes."

"But now they want both of you back."

"Yes."

"So..." Patty just wanted to know where they stood.

"So I really shouldn't be here." Elvira said.

Elvira stopped talking when she saw the insulted look on Patty's face. They both sat in silence, looking around the lounge room as the beige walls became slightly more interesting.