Chapter 3

“Rise and shine! Let’s get a move on!” Shouted Clare. Drakor tossed in his bed roll and squinted his eyes at Clare. She had everything packed and ready to go.

“It isn’t even daylight yet! Why are we heading out now?” Asked Drakor in an irritated voice. Clare took a deep breath and sighed.

“The sooner we head out, the sooner we can find the others.”

“What others?” Asked Drakor. Clare realized that she never told Drakor her plan. She stopped gathering everything and told him what she plans to do.

“Why are you just now telling me this?” Said Drakor. Clare blushed and looked down.

“I guess I just forgot.”

Two days passed, and they finally reached Lordinka. As they gazed upon this beautiful white marble city, they could feel a disturbance in the balance of good and evil.

“Can you feel that?” Asked Clare. Drakor nodded his head. As they approached the city, the feeling grew darker. There was something evil spiraling in this once beautiful city. Something had corrupted the air.

“Why are we here?” Asked Clare. She gazed at the gate of Lordinka. Drakor looked upon the gate as well, and said, “We need to find Fergus the Wonderer. If anyone has any idea as to where these shrines are, it would be him. He would have maps, notes, charts, anything you could think of on this, he would have it.”

“Why is he so obsessed with the Ancient Powers?” Asked Clare.

“Why wouldn’t he be? When you think about it, its amazing how something like that can exist.” Said Drakor. Clare nodded with agreement as they pressed forward into the city. They saw a sign that said, “The Broken Chalice,” and entered. When they walked in, everyone stopped and looked at them. They stared as they made their way across the room.

“We shouldn’t stay long. It seems we are unwanted.” Said Drakor in a whisper. Clare looked at him and said, “You don’t say? Whatever would have given you that impression? The constant stares? The utter silence, or wait I know! It was the big man over their holding that giant battle ax and eyeing you like you are a freshly cooked piece of venison?” Drakor looked at Clare with a disapproving glance and kept walking.

“Who are you? Where did you come from? Why are you here?” Asked a large man with a steel helmet covering his face. The suddenness of his words startled Clare. Drakor stepped in front of her and replied to the man, “We are just looking for someone, then we will be on our way. We are looking for a man that goes by Fergus the Wonderer. Do you know him?” The large man stared at Drakor hard, until he suddenly let out a loud booming laugh. In fact, everyone in the whole tavern began to laugh.The large man finally took off his helmet and tossed it on the table. He had a large forehead and a wide nose. He seemed older than expected, but had a wise look. 

“Is that a no?” Asked Drakor. The large man replied, “You see that man that passed out with his head in the waste basket? That’s the guy you’re looking for.” The large man began to laugh again as he walked them over to him. The large man said, “By the way, my name is Marko Mircujio. A pleasure to meet ya! Sorry about that earlier, got to keep all the unwanted out. You never know who is filled with that darkness. That’s why so many are in this here tavern. Safest place to be in this city.”

“Where is everyone? I knew Lordinka had many citizens, but I haven’t seen anyone except for the ones here.” Said Clare. Marko turned to her and said, “Well, ever since the King was corrupted with the darkness-”

“The king has been corrupted? When did this happen?” Asked Drakor. 

“It happened just a few nights ago.” Said Marko.