Chapter 6

They walked through the forest clearing until they reached the village. The village was small and most of the windows were boarded up. Virss sniffed the air and hunched over. The fur on his neck stood up and he eyed the village. Ravin put her hand on him and he stayed tensed.

“Looks deserted.” Said Marko.

“Let’s split up and look around to see if we can find anyone. Tali, Marko, Fergus, you guys come with me. Ravin, Drakor, Sam, and Aurora, you guys go search over there.” Clare pointed in the opposite direction they were going to go and then they began to look around. 

As they searched the village, Sam said, “They must have went to seek refuge in the temple.”

“Where is that?” Asked Drakor. Sam looked at a shattered window and told him, “At the bottom of Mt. Firos.”

“What? I thought that place was just a legend.”

“No, it is for legends. Long ago, five men named Lukirous, Frator, Shimkiro, Hoen, and Tyrim defeated the five ancient dragons. No one knows how they did it, but they conquered the dragons and made them give up their powers. Once they absorbed the dragons’ power, they were indestructible, so-to-speak. Crazy with power, Tyrim and Shimkiro plotted to steal the others’ powers. When Frator discovered their plans, he became enraged. He warned Lukirous and then plotted to get revenge. Lukirous was terrified. He didn’t want to loose his powers and fight his friends, so he hid. This made Frator even more furious. His hatred started to consume him.”

“But why did he get so angry with them over that?” Asked Aurora.

“Because they shed blood together and fought side by side for so long that they were all practically brothers. The idea that they would betray him made him angry. Shimkiro, being a liar, told Frator that it was all Tyrim’s idea. He said Tyrim ha tricked him into plotting against them. Frator confronted Tyrim and challenged him to a duel. Tyrim was so deceitful though. He told Frator that Hoen, the most powerful of all of them, was planning to steal all of their powers, including his. Too angry to see the obvious, he challenged Hoen. Hoen declined his challenge. He was loyal to his brothers and didn’t want to fight any of them. While Frator and Hoen were talking, Tyrim snuck up behind Frator and struck him down. Hoen stood their in shock as Frator’s powers seeped from his body. When he finally moved, he drew his swords. The two of them fought, even though it was very short. Hoen avenged Frator and fell to his knees. He never thought that he would have to kill someone he considered his brother. While he was on his knees, Shimkiro approached Hoen, sword in hand. Before he could strike, Hoen intercepted his attack. He ran his blade through his heart. As their powers began to seep out, Hoen cried. The bravest of all men, cried. The world began to weep with him. Rain began to fall and the skies turned dark. Not being able to bare the grief, Hoen shouted to the heavens, ‘Please, have mercy on me! My brothers are gone. I have no right to stand on this earth any longer!’ As he raised his hands towards the sky, a ball of light consumed him. No one knows what happened after that. He was never seen again. Most people believe that the ancient powers seeped into the earth sealed themselves away into different shrines.”

“How does a power seal itself away?” Asked Drakor in a skeptical voice. Sam shrugged his shoulders. 

“That seems hard to believe.” Said Drakor. Sam looked at him and replied, “Well, that is how the legend goes. Believe it or not.” As Clare, Fergus, Marko, and Tali all searched together, they saw a small figure run in between two houses. Clare called after it and followed.

“Wait! We aren’t here to hurt you! Can you help us?” The figure didn’t stop, it kept running. The others followed Clare. The figure tripped and feel to the ground. Clare slowed her pace and approached the figure. It was a little girl. She was crying.